Free music fonts

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
jan

Re: Free music fonts

Post by jan »

Hm, weird. On Windows it's definitely the "f" height.
Here is a screencam video where I create an "f" expression in Maestro from scratch and it immediately gets the big border from the font's height.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5EVe3Jx84I
Does the same happen on your system ?

Jan
Last edited by jan on 24 Oct 2016, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
jan

Post by jan »

BTW, how do you get the dashed boundaries shown with text expressions ? Is that MacOS only ?
jan

Post by jan »

And did you set the Maestro "Space" font annotation boundaries manually or where they created automatically ?
Because when I click on auto-annotate nothing visually appears. The "space" symbol has no glyph lines, so it doesn't know where to create reduced boundaries for the FAN.
But it would be interesting to know if this is indeed a necessary workaround for Finale.
OCTO

Re: RE: Re: Free music fonts

Post by OCTO »

jan wrote:BTW, how do you get the dashed boundaries shown with text expressions ? Is that MacOS only ?
I get them when I use the Selection tool and click once on it.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

jan wrote:And did you set the Maestro "Space" font annotation boundaries manually or where they created automatically ?
Because when I click on auto-annotate nothing visually appears. The "space" symbol has no glyph lines, so it doesn't know where to create reduced boundaries for the FAN.
But it would be interesting to know if this is indeed a necessary workaround for Finale.
When I uaed your fonts for the first time all Expressions with the space and white background became very huge until I fixed the space FAN.
In Maestro all 0-values give really large boundaries. Not sure why.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
jan

Post by jan »

>I get them when I use the Selection tool and click once on it.
Ah, yes, of course, looks a bit different on Windows, but I get a rectangle as well.
Attachments
sel.jpg
sel.jpg (31.22 KiB) Viewed 10848 times
jan

Post by jan »

>When I uaed your fonts for the first time all Expressions with the space and white background became very huge until I fixed the space FAN.
>In Maestro all 0-values give really large boundaries. Not sure why.
Hm, I still cannot reproduce it on Windows, but I will check it later on my Mac.
Or did it also happen on your Windows installation ?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

jan wrote:>When I uaed your fonts for the first time all Expressions with the space and white background became very huge until I fixed the space FAN.
>In Maestro all 0-values give really large boundaries. Not sure why.
Hm, I still cannot reproduce it on Windows, but I will check it later on my Mac.
Or did it also happen on your Windows installation ?
But in your YT video, all zero values give really a large box, no?
jan

Post by jan »

No, the box with the smallest distance from the symbol boundaries. More or less same result with using 1 in line thickness, height and width.
Last edited by jan on 25 Oct 2016, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

OCTO & Jan, please forgive my general ignorance of how to manipulate fonts and thus my probably naive question.

In my case I use Engraver rather than Maestro as my default music font in Finale. From time to time I've attempted to have a dynamic within an opaque rectangle. However, the rectangle has always been much too large for use. I'm not clear from reading this thread whether or not it might be possible to have a tightly fitting opaque rectangle around dynamics in Engraver (or indeed in Maestro) font.

I would often find it useful to have such a tightly fitting opaque boundary, were it to be possible.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/