Text Typeface like "Ped"?

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
benwiggy

Text Typeface like "Ped"?

Post by benwiggy »

I don't know if this has come up before, but can anyone suggest a text typeface that is similar in style to the :ped marking? Presumably, the traditional style we use now is based on some actual typeface? - In the same way that the traditional time sig numerals and dynamics are stylised versions of 'Modern' serif faces, like Bodoni.

It sort of looks like an "informal Blackletter"... The "Sost" marking is the same?
Knut

Re: Text Typeface like "Ped"?

Post by Knut »

benwiggy wrote:I don't know if this has come up before, but can anyone suggest a text typeface that is similar in style to the :ped marking? Presumably, the traditional style we use now is based on some actual typeface? - In the same way that the traditional time sig numerals and dynamics are stylised versions of 'Modern' serif faces, like Bodoni.

It sort of looks like an "informal Blackletter"... The "Sost" marking is the same?
Ben,

I've tried to find this particular style of typeface for a long time myself, but unfortunately, it seems like a very unique style, not adopted by any digital blackletter or calligraphic fonts on the market.

May I ask, for what purpose would you want to use this font (except for the standard :ped marking?
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

None whatsoever, except that I am a hoarder of typefaces. ;-)
Knut

Post by Knut »

I see. :)

Bravura features a Sost. indication in the same style, and with that in mind, I've suggested implementing Una Corda and Tre Corde in SMuFL as well. I don't think this style has ever been used for anything other than :ped, though.
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

In several decades I have not seen any type that matches the letterforms in the :ped symbol. It was custom lettering that has become a traditional form.
Knut

Post by Knut »

For those who haven't seen it, here's the Sost. marking in a matching style featured in Bravura:
Skjermbilde 2016-10-30 kl. 20.24.31.png
Skjermbilde 2016-10-30 kl. 20.24.31.png (24.41 KiB) Viewed 8440 times