My fonts in Brahms

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
odod

My fonts in Brahms

Post by odod » 13 Nov 2016, 14:16

John Ruggero wrote:Here are the ways that four editors of the past handled the pickup notes of the Chopin Etude op. 10 no. 4. It is clear that all were disturbed by the notation of the original edition and felt that it needed modification. Two opt for downward stems on the pickup notes, possibly without knowledge of the MS. And all changed the starting point of the slur in measure 1:

Scholtz (Peters).jpegKullak.jpegCortot.jpegBülow.jpeg
a little bit out of topic, but i have managed to made font look like one of Chopin Schirmer's edition

need some tweak though ..
Intermezzo_0001.png
Intermezzo_0001.png (294.47 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
i don't think behind bars or any engraving book is enough in this world of engraving .. beautiful art indeed
LogicX, Cubase 5, MacMini i7, Macbook Pro 2008, PowerMac G5, Sibelius 8, Finale, Musescore, Reaper, Apogee Duet, URMKII Steinberg, iPad with Notion, FontLab, tons of Faith and Prayers

Serenade Music Engraving Service

OCTO

Re: My fonts in Brahms

Post by OCTO » 13 Nov 2016, 14:59

odod wrote:i have managed to made font look like one of Chopin Schirmer's edition
Nice one!
I guess this is Finale?
Freelance Composer. Self Publisher.
Finale 2014.5 • Sibelius 7.1.3 • MuseScore 2 • Logic Pro X • Ableton Live 9/10 • Digital Performer 9 /// OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

dah-hisa

Post by dah-hisa » 13 Nov 2016, 16:40

Hello odod,
It seems very beautiful, especially I think G-Clef pretty nice!
I like also Schirmers Style.

Would you like sell it sometime??
I studied composition in japan and I am trying to work as music engraver in germany.

odod

Post by odod » 13 Nov 2016, 23:51

OCTO wrote:
odod wrote:i have managed to made font look like one of Chopin Schirmer's edition
Nice one!
I guess this is Finale?
This is Sibelius sir
i rarely uses finale, since it has different learning curve with Sibelius :(
i was hoping that Dorico would be a combination of both .. but it turns Dorico has its own workaround ..that's why i am still holding myself to buy Dorico
LogicX, Cubase 5, MacMini i7, Macbook Pro 2008, PowerMac G5, Sibelius 8, Finale, Musescore, Reaper, Apogee Duet, URMKII Steinberg, iPad with Notion, FontLab, tons of Faith and Prayers

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » 14 Nov 2016, 02:09

For me, G. Schirmer (plate engraved) has the warmest appearance of any publisher and are some of the most beautiful ever produced. But most of the editions they offered were non-authentic and this has given them a bad rep. But now that musicians have direct access to primary sources and can make their own decisions about the text—if used properly, these editions deserve study because they document the performance practices of many fine musicians of the past. And the engraving has always deserved study.
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2,
Finale 2014d with GPO 4, JW Plug-ins, SmartScore X Pro, Adobe InDesign CS4,
Inkscape .48.5 and .91, FontForge 20150526
http://www.cantilenapress.com

odod

Post by odod » 14 Nov 2016, 03:23

John Ruggero wrote:For me, G. Schirmer (plate engraved) has the warmest appearance of any publisher and are some of the most beautiful ever produced. But most of the editions they offered were non-authentic and this has given them a bad rep. But now that musicians have direct access to primary sources and can make their own decisions about the text—if used properly, these editions deserve study because they document the performance practices of many fine musicians of the past. And the engraving has always deserved study.
agree, all my piano books when i was in college primarily was Schirmer's edition .. look sharp and bold, but somehow the spacing is too tight for my eyes :(