Community creates a textual font

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

Re: Community creates a textual font

Post by OCTO »

I have got the source of OldStandard.
I will try to recreate it again, further the next version.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
odod

Post by odod »

OCTO wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:10 I have edited Old Standard, easy emboldened. Let me know what you think.
well done OCTO,
it looks bold on the score, here it is and look at the "g" letter i think it is close with the rounded pony tail
JEux Deux_0001.png
JEux Deux_0001.png (192.5 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

odod wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 10:03
OCTO wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:10 I have edited Old Standard, easy emboldened. Let me know what you think.
well done OCTO,
it looks bold on the score, here it is and look at the "g" letter i think it is close with the rounded pony tail
JEux Deux_0001.png
You think it is to bold?
The bold version of the font has to black-white contrast.
Yes, the g letter should be fixed! Thanks.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

The letter f needs some work too: The lower serif is too low (compare with hmnr), also the horizontal bars of t and f don’t align.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Here is another try. For those who have installed the font, please delete the old version before installing this new.
Comments appreciated!
Attachments
MusStandard v2.zip
(317.45 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Actually this task is much harder than what I expected.
Any suggestions how to embolden a font properly is welcome.
Florian

Post by Florian »

OCTO wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 17:03 Actually this task is much harder than what I expected.
There’s a reason why you can get a university degree in type design.

Don’t expect Fontforge’s automatic weight conversion do get you anywhere near a usable result. Properly changing the weight of a typeface is essentially a complete redesign. Once you have two different weights you can start interpolating – modern font editors come with great tools in that regard. But you need these two starting points, and that means careful work, glyph by glyph.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Florian wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 17:59
OCTO wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 17:03 Actually this task is much harder than what I expected.
There’s a reason why you can get a university degree in type design.

Don’t expect Fontforge’s automatic weight conversion do get you anywhere near a usable result. Properly changing the weight of a typeface is essentially a complete redesign. Once you have two different weights you can start interpolating – modern font editors come with great tools in that regard. But you need these two starting points, and that means careful work, glyph by glyph.
Wonderful, thank you.
Indeed I feel now as a grave amateur in that regard...

If I may ask, what does "interpolating" mean?
composerjk

Post by composerjk »

OCTO wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 08:13 If I may ask, what does "interpolating" mean?
Interpolating is determining designs through calculations between two other compatible designs. We often refer to using multiple masters for this. A type designer draws at least two masters, e.g., a light and a heavy. Each glyph would have the same number and type of nodes. Then, the in-between weights, for example, might be generated using those masters.

Perhaps the Glyphs Multiple Masters tutorial might help in understanding this.
Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/
liuscorne

Post by liuscorne »

Luc de Groot (one the best type designers around) has a whole theory of how interpolation works:

https://www.lucasfonts.com/learn/interpolation-theory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I75Efo7whrs

The following page has a nice visual aid to demonstrate how the outlines of a particular font change depending on the font weight. It's much more complicated than simply "boldening" an existing font weight (and it involves the same kind of mathematics needed for interpolation):
http://metapolator.com/home/