Music Type Foundry - question

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

Music Type Foundry - question

Post by OCTO »

Hello Abraham and others,

Which font in the Music Type Foundry is the most developed one: number of glyphs, number of complete (=non crossing over) symbols?
I just wonder because I want to test another font in order to make a more "bold" score.
Bravura (Norfolk, Fravura) looks pretty advanced. I am still not loving some symbols there.

Abraham, which would you choose for the contemporary music, yet not being with straight flags and other exquisite contemporary things?

Also, for Sibelius or Finale.

Thanks. O.

Add: OTOH, David Ward has always astound me with his simple but always correct and beautiful use of the standard Finale fonts in his scores.
Last edited by OCTO on 10 Aug 2018, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schonbergian

Re: Music Type Foundry - question

Post by Schonbergian »

Not Abraham, but I consider the Cadence font to be exactly what you're looking for - bold yet incredibly modern and unobtrusive.

I also have a soft spot for Universal's house style (MTF-Arnold) and think their combination of fonts and design is incredibly modern, but I know some will disagree.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

OCTO wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 09:31 … … … Add: OTOH, David Ward has always astound me with his simple but always correct and beautiful use of the standard Finale fonts in his scores.
:)
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Schonbergian wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 16:11 Not Abraham, but I consider the Cadence font to be exactly what you're looking for - bold yet incredibly modern and unobtrusive.

I also have a soft spot for Universal's house style (MTF-Arnold) and think their combination of fonts and design is incredibly modern, but I know some will disagree.
Thanks for this, I will check it now.
Schonbergian wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 16:11 I also have a soft spot for Universal's house style
Universal or Universal?
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

OCTO wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 09:17 Universal or Universal?
Yes, the second one, UE.
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

UE - their historical style (such as the examples I have posted around this forum in the past), not their current style.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

OCTO wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 09:31 Hello Abraham and others,
Hey! Sorry for my delayed response. I was just curious to hear what others thought first.
OCTO wrote:Which font in the Music Type Foundry is the most developed one: number of glyphs, number of complete (=non crossing over) symbols?
The most developed one currently is Cadence, but I have a very significant update coming for that. I'll post more about it when it's ready.

What do you mean by "non-crossing over"?
OCTO wrote: I just wonder because I want to test another font in order to make a more "bold" score.
Bravura (Norfolk, Fravura) looks pretty advanced. I am still not loving some symbols there.
Any specifics? I'm curious to hear what it is you aren't loving (if you don't mind elaborating a little bit more...).
OCTO wrote: Abraham, which would you choose for the contemporary music, yet not being with straight flags and other exquisite contemporary things?
Again, some more specifics would help me here since I don't do much along these lines. Both Arnold and Beethoven should work great. Scorlatti is always a solid choice. None of them have super extensive glyph sets, but that will change with time (probably).
OCTO wrote: Also, for Sibelius or Finale.
That's a bit trickier since their font handling isn't as friendly as LP or Dorico. However, once I feel good about my updates to Cadence, I will see what it will take to port the new additions so Sibelius and Finale can make use of things.
OCTO wrote:Add: OTOH, David Ward has always astound me with his simple but always correct and beautiful use of the standard Finale fonts in his scores.
'Atta boy, David! That's not always an easy thing to do.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Now I see I have never replied to you tisimst!
tisimst wrote:
OCTO wrote:Which font in the Music Type Foundry is the most developed one: number of glyphs, number of complete (=non crossing over) symbols?
The most developed one currently is Cadence, but I have a very significant update coming for that. I'll post more about it when it's ready.

What do you mean by "non-crossing over"?
I mean that the same design is NOT used again in another font. Usually the main symbols are designed together, but less common symbols are sometimes just a blank copy from another font.

tisimst wrote:
OCTO wrote: I just wonder because I want to test another font in order to make a more "bold" score.
Any specifics? I'm curious to hear what it is you aren't loving (if you don't mind elaborating a little bit more...).
I can answer in another topic!
tisimst wrote:
OCTO wrote: Abraham, which would you choose for the contemporary music, yet not being with straight flags and other exquisite contemporary things?
Again, some more specifics would help me here since I don't do much along these lines. Both Arnold and Beethoven should work great. Scorlatti is always a solid choice. None of them have super extensive glyph sets, but that will change with time (probably).
For more contemporary music I mean that a font has numerous symbols, such as square or triangle fermatas, numerous notehead types, a lot of symbols for tremolos, waves etc. So to speak, not having only the common symbols.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

tisimst wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 19:13
Is there any update of Cadence font?
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

There definitely is, but it I haven't had as much free time to work on it as I'd like. Additionally, I decided to add another set of glyphs in order to make future updates less necessary. I will also need to do some quality assurance testing before releasing it, but I will absolutely let you know when I feel it's ready.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge