From png to font type

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

From png to font type

Post by OCTO »

Hello experienced font designers.
I want to insert multiphonics into the Finale score, however, inserting as pictures seems to be a bit awkward. Now I am thinking to make symbols for each multiphonic so that they can be typed as Expression.
What is the best way (perhaps the quickest) to use a png picture (as one attached), to convert it into a vector graphic and than into a font?

You are welcome with other ideas as well.

Thanks.
Attachments
1537089368.png
1537089368.png (5.48 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
tisimst

Re: From png to font type

Post by tisimst »

If the PNG is sufficiently high resolution, I would use Inkscape’s image tracer to vectorize it, then you can either save as SVG or EPS and import those curves directly into FontForge into any character slot. Once you’ve got all the variants you need, then exporting as a font should be easy (or you can send me the source file and I can create the binary font, if you’d prefer).
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Sounds good, thank you.

I don't have any complete list yet. Perhaps I have to wait when I have all these pictures ready to make the font.

Another thing what I find awkward is to find the correct size of the symbol, so that all symbols (graphics) are of the same size and sharpness.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Are you sure there isn't a font for this already? A quick Google search shows several different families of Woodwind fingering fonts.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 09:53 Are you sure there isn't a font for this already? A quick Google search shows several different families of Woodwind fingering fonts.
Oh, yes, there are such indeed!
Thank you, I will explore it.