Mysterious keys D

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

Mysterious keys D

Post by OCTO »

Do anyone has idea why in all Make Music's music fonts there is no symbol on the keys D and d?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: Mysterious keys D

Post by Knut »

Hmm…, I've never notice that. Can't think of a reason why, but it doesn't apply to all MM fonts. Engraver has glyphs at both codepoints.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Right.
Sonata, Petrucci and Maestro don't have it.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

In that case, it might just be an oddity carried over from Sonata to Petrucci, and from Petrucci to Maestro.

Sonata established the convention of assigning symbols to the most intuitive character slots based on similarity of shape or name (e.g. Segno in assigned to % and quarter note to q/Q). D and d might have been left empty for the sake of intuitive mapping, but I doubt it.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I doubt it too. Strange.
Keys ∆ and ∂ are mapped, though.