# and natural symbols

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
OCTO

# and natural symbols

Post by OCTO »

(Separation from another thread)
Knut wrote:
OCTO wrote: I have problem with :s it is to much "italic", the horizontal lines are to much angled for my taste.
Thanks, Octo.

The angle on the horizontal bars of the :s is the same as on the :n, so changing one without the other, would make them less harmonious. Not all fonts use the same angle, but personally I like it this way.
Amazing optical illusion!

Because of the optical illusion above, I have feeling that they could also have different angles. I have checked some old scores and it looks that they differ...

Knut's example of Durand:
file.jpg
file.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 11992 times
It would be definitely worth to investigate.

Knut, how about making less slanted "horizontal" lines of :s in your font? Just an experiment....! ;)
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: # and natural symbols

Post by Knut »

Octo,

I find it interesting that you consider this an optical illusion, and perceive the :n and :s in my font as having different angles. In the case of Durand you quoted, I think the :n actually has a steeper angle than the :s, and this is not uncommon. Here are a few examples from different music fonts (my own included).
Accidentals.png
Accidentals.png (35.31 KiB) Viewed 11984 times
As you can see there are numerous approaches; some have identical angles, some have steeper angles on the sharp, some on the natural. For the sake of objectivity, I'll reveal the font names later.

Knut
Last edited by Knut on 26 Nov 2015, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I can maybe guess the fonts. But trying to be objective I like the most first :s and second :n
But as a combined, humm.... maybe no 3.

I have some problems with accidentals in Bravura. I don't know why.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:I can maybe guess the fonts. But trying to be objective I like the most first :s and second :n
That would give a combination with the :s being the steepest of the two, which is the opposite of what I thought you preferred.

It would be interesting if you could rate or characterize all the combinations.
That would give a better idea of your preferences.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

1 too wide and bold
2 too wide
3 very good
4 my favorite
5 also good, but the sharp is a little wide and the natural is a little too bold
6 too light
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

My favorite combination among examples is no 3.
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:1 too wide and bold
2 too wide
3 very good
4 my favorite
5 also good, but the sharp is a little wide and the natural is a little too bold
6 too light
Thanks for chiming in with your characterizations, John.

It seems both of you like my original natural symbol the best. That's good.
The fonts are as follows (from left to right):
Emmentaler
Maestro
My font with modified sharp
My original versions
Bravura
November

IOW, Octo prefers my modified version, while john prefers the original. I could go either way, but I tend to like the homogenous look of the original, and really don't see why they should have different angles.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

And what is the modification? I can't see so clearly.

EDIT:
I see, less slanted. I like it therefore.
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:I see, less slanted. I like it therefore.
I thought you would. :)

I'll have to take some time too see whether I agree or not. It's very easy to second guess prior decisions late in the process without considering all the reasons that decision was made in the first place (It's been years since I designed these accidentals and I've used them in a number of scores).

The same thing goes for the noteheads. As I understand it, your only reservation is with the black notehead, correct?
As I stated in my last post in that thread, the Idea behind making them relatively circular is to have them be distinguished, referencing two major french publishers, but without making them inaccessible. Of course, if this is choice is unconventional to the point where the whole font is disregarded from actual use by too many potential users like yourself, with an eye for detail, I would have to reconsider.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Right, it is not an easy decision! :)

I have concerns about the term "distinguished" - in my opinion it should not be to much distinguished so that it pops-out, instead it should be "complementary distinguished", so that nothing disturbs reading, yet they are as a complete font very distinguished.
As an example, Opus :t makes me really stressed when reading the score.

I have no idea how complementary symbols are made so that they create a harmonious font, but I guess it is a very challenging and demanding task.