My Clef

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
John Ruggero

Re: My Clef

Post by John Ruggero »

I forgot to say that I found creating a glyph a very interesting and satisfying activity (or in better hands, art form) and can see why there is so much interest in it. I recommend it highly to all who love music notation. Do just one glyph and you will have gained a greater appreciation for the more detailed aspects of music engraving.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 08 Jan 2016, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:Do just one glyph and you will have gained a greater appreciation for the more detailed aspects of music engraving.
Hear, hear!
dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury »

John, you chose one of the most challenging forms as your first effort! I can't count the number of revisions of the G clef I have produced to date for Bravura (though I don't plan to revise it any further at this stage).

Another deceptively difficult form is the regular black notehead. It's just an ellipse with (normally) four nodes, but balancing the width, height, and rotation of the ellipse is immeasurably difficult.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thank you, Daniel. That explains why I have never been completely satisfied with the G clef and the the black notehead in so many fonts that I have seen; it is apparently a very personal thing.

I did enjoy the process very much; it was as close to sculpting as I will probably get!
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com