Working during Covid-19 lockdown

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
David Ward

Working during Covid-19 lockdown

Post by David Ward »

Although at least one significant country with citizens as members of this forum is not currently in full lockdown, others are, including my own country of Scotland. I had presumed that I would be wonderfully active composing at my desk with all the extra time on my hands as an elderly (79) person who has been unable to go anywhere since 18 March other than on a modest daily walk. The reality has been quite different: I have felt a monumental sense of distraction and a fair bit of ennui. The best I seem able to do is whimsical sketching in the notebook I take on my daily walk (see the scan). I am lucky as I'm surrounded by the luxury of space so, unlike many in the present circumstances, I can at least go for solitary walks across country without risk of meeting a soul.

How are others on this forum finding it to write music whether as composer or copyist/engraver in the current situation?

Attachments
Musings.jpeg
Musings.jpeg (441.57 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
David Ward

Re: Working during Covid-19 lockdown

Post by David Ward »

Does anybody else find it very difficult to write music that is coherent, let alone substantial, in the present circumstances? Or is it just me?
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
HaraldS

Post by HaraldS »

What an interesting topic. In fact, I hoped to find time to compose and/or arrange some tunes for the two jazz big bands I am leading, but I find myself in a comparable situation. On the one hand, teaching online (trombone, piano, music theory) via Facetime/Zoom/Skype from my home requires more preparation time: I do more recordings and write more exercises and do more videos than when meeting my students weekly.

On the other hand, nobody knows when we will see performances again. This summer? This autumn? Can we rely on doing some christmas/holiday concerts? Maybe not even that. Among German musicians, there's not much hope to play in front of big audiences anytime soon. I tend to be more creative as a writer if there's a clear performance opportunity ahead.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

P.S. (most probably, we as a family even have to cancel our booked summer vacation in Scotland...)
Finale 3.0-2014.5, german edition, Windows 7
hardware synths/keys, Cubase 7 / trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Life is currently a balance between looking after the children and spending time at my desk, and I agree with David that I find it quite hard to 'knuckle down'. The lack of deadline or other urgency has dampened the mood somewhat.

On the plus side, I have lots of PDF manuscripts and half-completed editions that I can spend time on; but I can't go to the British Library, or order new scans from elsewhere, as libraries have closed.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The mood being described brings to mind the saying often ascribed to Leonard Bernstein:"To accomplish great things, two things are necessary: a plan and not quite enough time." Bernstein did accomplish important things when under great pressure; maybe less so later.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

I've spent the last week forcing myself to finish the parts for my latest completed work.

Three parts to go...
Composer and engraver
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I had corona for 50 days (april-may), and managed to compose an EAM piece from my bed...
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Wow. That is shocking news, OCTO. I had assumed you were just very busy composing. I am sure that i speak for the whole Notat.io community in saying how very sorry I am to hear about your illness and hope that you are well on the way to a complete recovery.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

I second John's best wishes and do hope that you recover fully.

I fear this virus because of my age and am remaining isolated.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

I echo David and John's wishes as well, and hope that nobody else here falls victim to this virus.

I also echo David's observations about a lack of creative impulse during these times. Practicing has been productive, but without Bernstein's "not quite enough time", I'm not pushed to accomplish anything meaningful.