Beautifying Mallet Percussion

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
OCTO

Re: Beautifying Mallet Percussion

Post by OCTO »

Unfortunately, different notehedas or colours never, AFAIK, represent hands. There is no need to discover anything exotic when we have enough complex music script.
For me , the biggest problem in the example of the OP is wrong beaming and other oddities such as spacing and layout.
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

buster wrote:OK then. I'm not familiar with marimba. Maybe another shape then?

edit: my first idea was noteheads in a different color. But colors don't photocopy well, and publishers want to keep costs down, I sure that it's better if everything is in black ink. So then I thought maybe different shapes...
You are right, different colored note heads are a no-no.

If you had come to the game with your idea of a different shape about 75 years ago, you might have been enabled to establish it, but at this point most percussionists are not interested in learning a different notational system for their very complex musical pieces.
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

OCTO wrote:Unfortunately, different notehedas or colours never, AFAIK, represent hands. There is no need to discover anything exotic when we have enough complex music script.
For me , the biggest problem in the example of the OP is wrong beaming and other oddities such as spacing and layout.
If I can find a copy of this music I'd love to contribute more completely.

I've written a solo work for marimba, and I've had it performed publicly, and I directly consulted with the performer.

In fact, I'll see if I can find this piece of music in question.
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer