[puzzle] Slur solutions 2

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
OCTO

Re: [puzzle] Slur solutions 2

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:So far, only OCTO has manage to accomplish this, and I would love to know how he did it!
Here are my settings:
shot.jpg
shot.jpg (148.78 KiB) Viewed 10670 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:
John Ruggero wrote:So far, only OCTO has manage to accomplish this, and I would love to know how he did it!
Here are my settings:
shot.jpg
Didn't you change any of the placement settings?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Here is my document (made from a template I use).
Many settings differ from the standard Default. I have changed it during time (first template was in Finale 2009).
Attachments
test slur.musx
(75.24 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

I realize that most of the discussion has been around Finale's settings, but I thought I'd share this if anyone is interested. In LilyPond, to go from the top system to the bottom (i.e., ignoring collisions between slurs and accidentals), it is done by adding the tweak

\override Slur.details.accidental-collision = 0

which basically eliminates the penalty of such collisions from the slur optimization and gives the following:
[puzzle] Slur solutions 2 - LilyPond.png
[puzzle] Slur solutions 2 - LilyPond.png (26.34 KiB) Viewed 10643 times
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Knut

Post by Knut »

tisimst wrote:I realize that most of the discussion has been around Finale's settings, but I thought I'd share this if anyone is interested. In LilyPond, to go from the top system to the bottom (i.e., ignoring collisions between slurs and accidentals), it is done by adding the tweak

\override Slur.details.accidental-collision = 0

which basically eliminates the penalty of such collisions from the slur optimization and gives the following:
[puzzle] Slur solutions 2 - LilyPond.png
Thanks, tisimst!

The slur tips are way too thick for me (which, I'm guessing, can easily be adjusted), but apart from that, these examples make it pretty clear just how superior Lilypond's default handling of slurs is to Finale.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Knut wrote:
I'm sorry, but I guess I don't see why you would want to set up your default settings to fit only a very limited number of cases.
I don't want to change my default settings; I just thought that it would be interesting to see exactly what settings would be necessary for the remaining difficult cases.

OCTO. and Knut seem to have come up with the same answer: -2 vertical spaces (for items 2, 3 and +2 spaces for item 4 in Slur Placement)

I was also interested in the opinion of the members on exactly what shape would be best for case A.

Case A comes up a few times in Beethoven's Violin Sonata op. 30 no. 1, but unflagged. Henle presents the stemming as I have in the puzzle, stubbornly keeping the middle line note stem down. Henle's solution is like OCTO.'s and Knut's: the slur moves in the direction of the notes, which I think is best.

I have not found an example of the flagged case in the Henle. I do prefer Knut's solution in this case, although it seems to me that OCTO.s would be a good compromise in tight situations. I wonder if Knut and maybe OCTO have introduced more space, which makes dealing with this situation easier.

OCTO. would you wish to tell me what the vertical settings for items 2-4 would be in your normal setup? I would like to set up my Slur Experiment File with your exact settings to compare with mine. I did set up a file with the settings from your file and it was interesting to see the results, which were pleasing. It was also interesting to see that some difficult cases were handled better without Engraver Slurs on, but others worse.

tisimst, thanks so much for sharing, I was hoping that there would be LilyPond examples. I agree with Knut in the obvious superiority of the LilyPond defaults. I also agree that the slurs could be more graceful with thinner ending parts. I, of course, would prefer the first line style to the second!
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Knut wrote:Thanks, tisimst!

The slur tips are way too thick for me (which, I'm guessing, can easily be adjusted), but apart from that, these examples make it pretty clear just how superior Lilypond's default handling of slurs is to Finale.
Yes, these are also easily changed with (default values shown):

\override Staff.Slur.thickness = 1.2
\override Staff.Slur.line-thickness = 0.8

The line-thickness property is the diameter of the virtual pen that traces the top and bottom curves that make up ties/slurs. The thickness property is the maximum thickness between the same top and bottom curves (not including the line-thickness). The line-thickness property controls the thickness of the end-points, but the sum of the two properties controls the apparent "thickness" of the tie/slur, here 1.2 + 0.8 = 2.0 which is a multiple of the staff-line-thickness. So, to cut the end-point thickness in half, but keep the same maximum thickness, you'd do something like the following:

\override Staff.Slur.thickness = 1.6
\override Staff.Slur.line-thickness = 0.4

so we get the same staff-line-thickness multiple of 1.6 + 0.4 = 2.0. Here's that those change look like:
LilyPond-sharpening-slurs.png
LilyPond-sharpening-slurs.png (14.17 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:I wonder if Knut and maybe OCTO have introduced more space, which makes dealing with this situation easier.
I used my default scaling factor of 1.414. Apart from that, my font is a bit more space effective than Maestro, which might contribute slightly to this impression.
Knut

Post by Knut »

tisimst wrote:
Knut wrote:Thanks, tisimst!

Yes, these are also easily changed with (default values shown):

\override Staff.Slur.thickness = 1.2
\override Staff.Slur.line-thickness = 0.8

The line-thickness property is the diameter of the virtual pen that traces the top and bottom curves that make up ties/slurs. The thickness property is the maximum thickness between the same top and bottom curves (not including the line-thickness). The line-thickness property controls the thickness of the end-points, but the sum of the two properties controls the apparent "thickness" of the tie/slur, here 1.2 + 0.8 = 2.0 which is a multiple of the staff-line-thickness. So, to cut the end-point thickness in half, but keep the same maximum thickness, you'd do something like the following:

\override Staff.Slur.thickness = 1.6
\override Staff.Slur.line-thickness = 0.4

so we get the same staff-line-thickness multiple of 1.6 + 0.4 = 2.0. Here's that those change look like:
LilyPond-sharpening-slurs.png
Thanks,

Seeing these, I'm actually considering increasing the thickness of my slur and tie tips slightly. On short and medium lengths, I think my settings are fine, but for longer slurs, they tend to become too thin. This is particularly easy to see from the second slur in my post on the first slur problem.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:OCTO. would you wish to tell me what the vertical settings for items 2-4 would be in your normal setup?
I am unsure what your question is here... :(