[puzzle] Slur solutions 2

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
Knut

Re: [puzzle] Slur solutions 2

Post by Knut »

Peter West wrote:
Knut wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to improve the default settings in Finale to accommodate these situations, without compromising others at the same time.

Here's my effort:
Skjermbilde 2016-03-03 kl. 12.18.00.png
My solution for manually adjusting these situations is:

1. Not to overstate the angle of the slur when moving the left end point down the stem.
2. Pull the left inset point up alongside the tangent, until it's parallel with the centre point (or slightly below it).
3. Move the right inset point slightly to further to the right to compensate.
4. Move the centre point up or down to clear the staff line slightly. Be sure not to make the slur too flat. These slurs usually need to be a bit higher than the default.

Edit: My idea here is to come up with something along the lines of OCTO's results for challenge B, but to make the slur more reflective of the ascending motion.
I like this solution, though I would keep more curve in the right half, at the moment it looks almost like a straight line. Apart from that this has my vote.

And I agree, any automatic setting that correctly places these will adversely affect others. Least damage, I think is generally to have these wrongly placed then manually adjust as needed.
Thanks, Peter.

Are you sure you don't mean the left half?
How much to stretch the left inset point towards the top will depend largely on the length and angle of the slur. On really small slurs, you don't need much of a stretch at all, and the more you stretch along the tangent line, the straighter the line becomes. I may have gone a bit overboard with these, but they look pretty good to me.
Peter West

Post by Peter West »

Knut wrote:
Peter West wrote:
Knut wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to improve the default settings in Finale to accommodate these situations, without compromising others at the same time.

Here's my effort:
Skjermbilde 2016-03-03 kl. 12.18.00.png
My solution for manually adjusting these situations is:

1. Not to overstate the angle of the slur when moving the left end point down the stem.
2. Pull the left inset point up alongside the tangent, until it's parallel with the centre point (or slightly below it).
3. Move the right inset point slightly to further to the right to compensate.
4. Move the centre point up or down to clear the staff line slightly. Be sure not to make the slur too flat. These slurs usually need to be a bit higher than the default.

Edit: My idea here is to come up with something along the lines of OCTO's results for challenge B, but to make the slur more reflective of the ascending motion.
I like this solution, though I would keep more curve in the right half, at the moment it looks almost like a straight line. Apart from that this has my vote.

And I agree, any automatic setting that correctly places these will adversely affect others. Least damage, I think is generally to have these wrongly placed then manually adjust as needed.
Thanks, Peter.

Are you sure you don't mean the left half?
How much to stretch the left inset point towards the top will depend largely on the length and angle of the slur. On really small slurs, you don't need much of a stretch at all, and the more you stretch along the tangent line, the straighter the line becomes. I may have gone a bit overboard with these, but they look pretty good to me.
Indeed I did mean left. I'd just been helping a friend to proof read a book with a load of photographs in which the photo was of a person's reflection in a mirror and I'd had a hell of a game working out which was the actual left or right side of the person being reflected. (The author had some, but not all of them wrong). My brain had re-programmed to see left and say right. Sorry about that.
Finale 2008/9/10/11/12/14, Sibelius 6/7.5, In Design CC 2015, Illustrator CS4
Felipe Copaja

Post by Felipe Copaja »

OCTO wrote: 07 Mar 2016, 12:56 I have edited these settings but a while ago (some years).
I see that slurs options are modified on a per-document basis (finale 2014). Is there a way to set them as a default setting?
Would you mind sharing other slur related settings? (positioning maybe?)

Felipe