[puzzle] A Breve Problem

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
DatOrganistTho

[puzzle] A Breve Problem

Post by DatOrganistTho »

See below.

I've mocked it up crude, and don't intend to leave it this way. Any way you can advise? Or is this a solution for open ties?
Attachments
lasst uns intro problem.png
lasst uns intro problem.png (38.96 KiB) Viewed 10586 times
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
OCTO

Re: [puzzle] A Breve Problem

Post by OCTO »

I am not sure if this accent is allowable to be placed on the staff line (I think not), but here is my option:
shot 6.jpg
shot 6.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 10582 times
BTW, what font do you use?
Knut

Post by Knut »

I might go for open ties in this situation, especially if they're used elsewhere in the score.
Otherwise, I really don't see any reason to keep the ties that flat. A bit more arc might make placement of the marcatos easier. In any case, I think you need to tweak a combination of elements (spacing, stem length, ties and articulations) to get the best result. Here's a suggestion:
Skjermbilde 2016-06-15 kl. 11.46.10.png
Skjermbilde 2016-06-15 kl. 11.46.10.png (133.52 KiB) Viewed 10569 times
OCTOs suggestion to flip the marcatos is fine if unavoidable, but I don't think it's needed in this case.
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

OCTO wrote:I am not sure if this accent is allowable to be placed on the staff line (I think not), but here is my option:
shot 6.jpg

BTW, what font do you use?
Thanks! I like that option too. Is it okay to have the half-notes not match up between the staves? That was also part of the problem.

The font I'm using is Cadence. :) Our own @tisimst made that font. ;)
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

Knut wrote:I might go for open ties in this situation, especially if they're used elsewhere in the score.
Otherwise, I really don't see any reason to keep the ties that flat. A bit more arc might make placement of the marcatos easier. In any case, I think you need to tweak a combination of elements (spacing, stem length, ties and articulations) to get the best result. Here's a suggestion:

Skjermbilde 2016-06-15 kl. 11.46.10.png

OCTOs suggestion to flip the marcatos is fine if unavoidable, but I don't think it's needed in this case.
I like your solution, and am more concerned about the break in the parallel voices in the half-note context. You would find it acceptable to shift the half-note over on the right hand while leaving it as is on the left-hand staff?
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

DatOrganistTho wrote:The font I'm using is Cadence. :) Our own @tisimst made that font. ;)
Which is now called MTF-Cadence as I shift directions to a different online store. More details soon about that (in another thread of course).
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Knut

Post by Knut »

DatOrganistTho wrote:I like your solution, and am more concerned about the break in the parallel voices in the half-note context. You would find it acceptable to shift the half-note over on the right hand while leaving it as is on the left-hand staff?
Sorry, didn't get that from your OP. If you're referring to the spacing of the first beat, then yes, I do find it acceptable. Actually, while my experience in dealing with breves in a double stemmed context is very limited, I do believe there is no other way to space the notes. Lining up the layers just for the sake of it is not common when dealing with offset notes of other values, so I see no reason to do it in this case either.
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

tisimst wrote:
DatOrganistTho wrote:The font I'm using is Cadence. :) Our own @tisimst made that font. ;)
Which is now called MTF-Cadence as I shift directions to a different online store. More details soon about that (in another thread of course).
Does the MTF stand for Metafont?!?!? Meaning you'll have them scaled properly at different sizes ?!? ;)
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
Knut

Post by Knut »

If your layer distribution isn't fixed, I would consider flipping the stems of the r.h. half notes, which would make the spacing of the layers more even, without the risk of collisions. I'm actually not entirely sure that the result would constitute an acceptable note alignment, but it looks OK to me:
Skjermbilde 2016-06-16 kl. 06.55.00.png
Skjermbilde 2016-06-16 kl. 06.55.00.png (119.62 KiB) Viewed 10497 times
Last edited by Knut on 16 Jun 2016, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

DatOrganistTho wrote:Thanks! I like that option too. Is it okay to have the half-notes not match up between the staves? That was also part of the problem.
Yes, absolutely. As long the notes are grouped ( :7 + :5 )
Knut wrote:If your layer distribution isn't fixed, I would consider flipping the stems of the r.h. half notes, which would make the spacing of the layers more even, without the risk of collisions.
Actually I see this as a problem in the voice leading. IF the voice with :5 was previous in the upper staff, it can't be moved down. It is just a theoretical issue, and of course has nothing to do with performance (at organ for example). But if the arranger/composer can compromise, I don't see any reason for not using your approach. I would though avoid aligning :5 stem with :7 for better legibility.