Choral divided writing

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
OCTO

Choral divided writing

Post by OCTO »

In a regular SATB layout, when one voice is divided in high/low voices, do they have separate voices/layers (=stems) IF the rhythm is completely the same AND when they have numerous grace notes as well?
shot 2.jpg
shot 2.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 11938 times
Last edited by OCTO on 11 Nov 2016, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
tisimst

Re: Choral divided writing

Post by tisimst »

I think the obvious things to consider are 1) clarity (i.e., distinguishing between the parts) and 2) vertical spacing needs. I've seen both styles you are showing in plenty of choral scores. If the parts are rhythmically the same most of the time, I'd probably make them share a stem and only split them into separate voices during the passages of differing rhythms, if the lower voice needs to go above the upper voice (or vice versa), or if the two notes are a second apart or in unison. This usually gives the lyrics the most room (vertically).
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Knut

Post by Knut »

I think tisimst is right, although I think there is a stronger tendency for voices not to share a stem in vocal music than in instrumental music.

With regard to vertical spacing, if you decide to mix it up, as tisimst suggests, you should also consider the amount of space needed for lyrics when transitioning between single and double stemming on the same system. An unevenness in white space can be remedied by shortening the stems on the second voice, but might still be unattractive and less legible.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Ok, friends, what should I do?
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

:n3
OCTO wrote:Ok, friends, what should I do?
I think we'll need to see a longer passage of the score to give you any more specific advice.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

(EDITED:)
I have checked some literature, and I see different approaches. Absolutely when SA placed at one staff they are divided, but here the same voice is split.
I think I will go with option 2, with shared stems. The shared voices are completely the same in the rhythmical move (shared A, shared T and shared B - which would add extra vertical space).

Also here (Gould):
20161111_070650.jpg
20161111_070650.jpg (223.78 KiB) Viewed 11938 times
Why don't I look there first...? :( :idea: :(
Knut

Post by Knut »

Thanks, OCTO. After doing a bit of research, my assessment of this has clearly been misguided, at least in regards to 20th century music.
I must say, though, that I'm not that crazy about Gould's example, but perhaps that stems from my limited exposure to more modern vocal music.

Anyway, I do agree that sharing the stem is the better option if the rhythms are equal.
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

I agree about sharing stems when the rhythm is the same.

OCTO, another thing I notice about the first example: The syllables are aligned with the main notes, but it would be helpful to back them up to the position of the first grace notes. That is where they must be sung, after all.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MJCube wrote:The syllables are aligned with the main notes, but it would be helpful to back them up to the position of the first grace notes. That is where they must be sung, after all.
That is correct. The example is just a nonsense, I added some text for visual purpose. Thanks anyway for pointing this out, that is the correct way.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I would want to emphasise that for short score writing, the parts should have individual stems. I'm something of a fan of unison noteheads side-by-side, but that's probably an archaic practice.
But for divisi within a single part line, yes, I concur.