Repeat and cresecendo

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
OCTO

Repeat and cresecendo

Post by OCTO »

I have one measure to repeat unspecified number of times but in order to get from pppp to p. How to notate it?
If I put repeat symbol and crescendo, it can be understood as numerous times crescendo every time the repetition begins.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Re: Repeat and cresecendo

Post by David Ward »

Is this a possibility? - a hairpin that goes on past the end-of-bar repeat sign into a further written out repetition of that bar and finishing with p at the end of that bar.

You'd also need to have some indication along the lines of ‘repeat ad lib through crescendo’ (or its equivalent in Italian) over the bar that has an undefined number of repetitions.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Along the lines of David Ward's suggestion:
Free repeat with cresc..jpg
Free repeat with cresc..jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 9064 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote:Along the lines of David Ward's suggestion:

Free repeat with cresc..jpg
Hm John, that is also quite interesting, the only problem is that I need to reach p at the end of that repeat, not in the next measure.
I think that the language barierre is the most problematic. Usin David's ‘repeat ad lib through crescendo’, or better ‘repeat ad lib through crescendo until p’ is perhaps the most exact what I want to achieve.

PS John, what is the text font you use?
PPS John, I have sent you a private message.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Hi, OCTO. I am using Wess's text font. I sent a reply to your private message.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
erelievonen

Re: Repeat and crescendo

Post by erelievonen »

My solution would be to write pppp cresc. p under the repeated bar (or the same with a hairpin), and then in a footnote:
"gradual crescendo through repetitions"