Free irregular tremolo

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
OCTO

Free irregular tremolo

Post by OCTO »

Is there any standard symbol that could be applied to a note (or stem) or between two notes that represents an irregular tremolo (=tremolo of varying speed)?

I know that it is not a "standard" playing of tremolo, but anyway..., an already used symbol in music literature.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Re: Free irregular tremolo

Post by Knut »

I don't think so, but a simple text expression should get the point across.
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

I suppose you could indicate it roughly with something like feathered beams. Unless it should be completely unspecified.
Knut

Post by Knut »

Actually, the most recent version of SMuFL (and Bravura) includes the Stockhausen 'morsen' character, which is intended for an irregular more code-like tremolo effect:
Skjermbilde 2017-01-17 kl. 14.41.16.png
Skjermbilde 2017-01-17 kl. 14.41.16.png (13.7 KiB) Viewed 14725 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Thanks friends.
Any other proposal for
1. Single note irregular tremolo
2. Irregular tremolo between two notes?

Maybe just a description and frame-line?

Btw, Knut, do you have an example of Stok use of that symbol?
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote: 17 Jan 2017, 18:34 Btw, Knut, do you have an example of Stok use of that symbol?
No, sorry, I don't, but it's supposed to be quite frequent in Stockhausen's scores.
It is intended for use on single notes; the left beam should be centered on the stem as with a regular tremolo.

I don't have a good suggestion for irregular finger tremolo, unfortunately, although I'm quite sure one can be found with some research into contemporary string works. This shouldn't be that uncommon.
Knut

Post by Knut »

After pondering this a bit, I would suggest one of the following three alternatives (provided you're not able to find a more standardized notation, of course):

1. If you want to specify the tempo of the tremolo, I'd go for feathered beaming as MJCube suggests. Single note tremolos could in this case also be written out with the strokes above the notes and arrows in between, signifying gradual changes.
2. If you want a fast and somewhat irregular tremolo, you might perhaps use a slash through the tremolo bars (on single notes) or through the beams (on two note tremolos), accompanied by an explanatory note.
3. If you want a lot of variation in tempo, completely at the performer's discretion, I think the best option might be to simply use explanatory text.
billstevens

Post by billstevens »

The November font has several of these:

Unmeasured tremolo à la Penderecki
Wieniawski unmeasured tremolo (on stem)
Wieniawski unmeasured tremolo (simpler, on stem)
Knut

Post by Knut »

Bill, AFAIK theose are all for regular unmeasured tremolo, not irregular tremolo.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Yes, correct. I think I will go with a symbol + explanation.

I might use B on the stem, as "bisbigliando" or similar. And of course I will give an explanation.