Rehearsal letter and Segno

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
arco

Rehearsal letter and Segno

Post by arco »

What is the recommended practice for when these two are at the same position for a measure starting on the left of the page? Are they best stacked (I have a chord symbol at the first beat also and a high note with ledger lines)? which is what I am doing before the first note.
The rehearsal letter actually says "A1,2,4" so takes up more horizontal space than normal.
I did not find anything in Behind Bars or any other book I have that would help.
Thanks.
OCTO

Re: Rehearsal letter and Segno

Post by OCTO »

I try to imagine that situation, I see the problem indeed.

Measure numbers, rehearsal letters and segno are all "signals", indeed. "segno" is even a formal, forcing-signal.
When using a Rehearsal Letter, the Measure Number disappears, it is because RH is on the higher hierarchy than MN.
I believe that "segno" has the same power over the RH. Why not to omit RH completely? If there is just one "segno", there is absolutely no need to have RH.
If there are multiple "segno"s (as it would be in case in a never-ending-viennese-valse), than "segno after A2" is the right mutual coordination for musicians.

We professional musicians are more flexible than in theory, and clutter on the page is more distracting than anything else.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
arco

Post by arco »

Yes that would normally be something to consider, thanks. However alongside the Rehearsal letters is the word "Chorus" because there is (the missing) A3 - Chorus elsewhere (in the relative minor key).
Assuming I go with stacking, which should be on top, Segno or Rehearsal? As I have it, Segno is, because then I can put the Rehearsal below with Chorus or whatever. (There is also a tempo indication etc.)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I am now having difficulty to project everything you say. Can you upload a screenshot?
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
arco

Post by arco »

Something like this.
Segno RH.png
Segno RH.png (13.27 KiB) Viewed 11583 times
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

From a musical point of view, the segno would have more immediate importance to me and I would place it below the rehearsal mark (or closer to the staff, in other words)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I would here definitely omit RH.
arco

Post by arco »

Thanks for your suggestions! I will swap them around vertically for now. I had not thought of deleting RH, although it gives a visual indication of form but that would work. Thanks, very helpful.