Inkscape crashing

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
dspreadbury

Re: Inkscape crashing

Post by dspreadbury »

It's not free or open source, but if you're using a Mac, an excellent and inexpensive alternative to Adobe Illustrator is Affinity Designer (Serif, the manufacturer, also has a similarly excellent Photoshop alternative called Affinity Photo). Both are available from the Mac App Store, and I would recommend both as high-quality, high-performance illustration and photo editing tools, which you can buy without recourse to a subscription with Adobe:

https://affinity.serif.com/
wess-music

Post by wess-music »

dspreadbury wrote:It's not free or open source, but if you're using a Mac, an excellent and inexpensive alternative to Adobe Illustrator is Affinity Designer... I would recommend both as high-quality, high-performance illustration and photo editing tools...
Indeed, Daniel, It is very affordable software and most important – very fast working.
It could open a whole PDF file with all pages in one go positioning every single page on different and not transparent layer.
Opening the files is amazing – it happens instantly. Vector-crop tool is fantastic. It applies mask without so many preparations and any complications.

OMHO, it is definitely application positioned on much higher level compared to iDraw.

Unfortunately, "Affinity Designer" like many others, has its own limitation.
In my daily work the most important option I use in Illustrator remains the possibility to select different kind of type or drawn objects organised by categories – text, filled objects, strokes, selecting by color,(stroke) width etc.
Affinity Designer shows on the right side all elements included in the file by categories. You can select manually single element even without touching its appearance on the graphical field. Just like LilyPond with Frescobaldi.

But: how can one select only text objects or only curves?
Only manually... I could not finde any solution to optimise it.
Well, I am not a master of this software, and if someone knows better its tricks, please, share with us the hidden features of Affinity Designer, especially if there are possibility to filter the selection by sort.
Thank you.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thank you for reminding me about Affinity, dspreadbury. Someone had mentioned it to me several months ago and it slipped my mind. I will download the free trial to see what it is like. I that understand that they are also working on an alternative to InDesign to which I would migrate if I can bring my InDesign documents with me.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Have you tried Scribus (alternative to InDesing)?
It was long time ago, but I guess it is now more developed.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, OCTO. I am taxing InDesign CS4 to the limit with my book on piano technique, which includes a lot of cross-referencing, and I am not sure Scribus would be able to handle it. I will check it out though. It would probably be sufficient for my normal needs, assuming that it imports and prints PDFs as well as InDesign.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I looked over Affinity, which is beautiful, and I would probably be using it instead of Inkscape, except that it doesn't have a trace feature. I may combine them with the next clef I try.

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

For the trace function I have used Delineate.
http://delineate.sourceforge.net/
I don't know if it will run on your machine. I remember I had some newer patch that runs well, without previous crashes.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)