Inkscape crashing

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
John Ruggero

Inkscape crashing

Post by John Ruggero »

All of a sudden, Inkscape is making streaked black lines when I edit nodes and often crashing. Didn't have the problem yesterday with the same files. Is this typical behavior? I did upgrade to the latest version of XQuartz a few days ago. Anyone else having similar issues after upgrading?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
tisimst

Re: Inkscape crashing

Post by tisimst »

I can't say I've experienced this in all my times using Inkscape, but I've never used it on a Mac (only Windows and Linux). Can you show a screenshot of what it looks like when it goes haywire?
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John, I use an older version of Inkscape and it is very stable. Try to download some previous version just in the case they implemented something in the newer version that crashes the application.

It can be also matter of Apple's code.
What versions do you use (system, application)?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Here is an example of a streak produced by simply moving a node. Its the dark diagonal, not the blue guide lines. After making streaks like this and worse, then the whole clef disappears leaving only the nodes, then the program can just close abruptly. I now save after every edit.
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors XQuartz 2.7.8 (xorg-server 1.16.4) Inkscape 0.91
Inkscape line.jpg
Inkscape line.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 12374 times
Last edited by John Ruggero on 28 Nov 2015, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Can you use an older Inkscape version?
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I am now using Inkscape 0.48.5 without any problems. Thanks, OCTO and tisimst.

tisimst

Post by tisimst »

That is very strange indeed. What version of Inkscape were you using originally? Would you mind sending me the file to see if I can replicate the issue? Glad it's working for you now.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, tisimist. I was using Inkscape 0.91 Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors XQuartz 2.7.8

I am now back to using .91 without further issues. The file that started having problems was the result of many duplications, since I save each new version as a new file. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I will keep experimenting and send you something if anything unexpected happens.

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Yes, maybe the file was corrupted somehow from Finale. Who knows... Or just THAT node is corrupted...!
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

This was not a file from Finale. And the file is not corrupted because it works fine in the Inkscape 0.48.5. And it happened on many nodes and situations.