Unstable articulations in Finale

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
John Ruggero

Unstable articulations in Finale

Post by John Ruggero »

The following bug has been confirmed today by MakeMusic: articulations placed on staves in reduced sizes appear to jump rightward when selected with the select tool in Finale 2014 (and 2011 and probably other versions). They return to their correct positions when the screen is redrawn or resized. One must be viewing the staff at somewhat greater than 100% zoom to see this. It makes articulation editing a nightmare because one never knows exactly where the articulation will appear after one has adjusted it. The bug has also been confirmed on the MM Forum.
Unstable articulations.jpg
Unstable articulations.jpg (204.63 KiB) Viewed 8549 times
In the illustration, articulations on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th beats of both measures are actually positioned as on beat 1, but have been selected and shoved over to fictitious positions as shown. I also attach a .musx file.
Unstable articulations2.musx
(82.41 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Has anyone else encountered this? And how would one work around it?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Re: Unstable articulations in Finale

Post by Knut »

It's been this way for years, and as far as I can remember, it used to be that way to a certain extent on normal sized staffs as well.

It's been a while since I did any work with small staff, but I have always used an articulation set that has all glyphs centered around the origin point (x/y 0 point and with no right side bearing) in the font itself. This seemed to help a lot in earlier versions at least. You could easily set this up in FontForge with the main articulations and see if it helps.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Knut, thanks for the interesting suggestion. It would give me a good excuse to do some more experimenting with FontForge. However, a simple work-around has just occurred to me: I'll do any fine editing of articulations in scroll view, since all staves are 100% and there is no problem. I hate scroll view, but I have finally found a good reason to use it.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

The resized staff in Finale has many bugs, actually.
Knut wrote: It's been a while since I did any work with small staff, but I have always used an articulation set that has all glyphs centered around the origin point (x/y 0 point and with no right side bearing) in the font itself. .. You could easily set this up in FontForge with the main articulations and see if it helps.
Interesting. Can you confirm? I don't have FF now, but I will test it once.
John Ruggero wrote:The following bug has been confirmed today by MakeMusic
Today?? It has been since ever.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote:Interesting. Can you confirm?
Unfortunately this old trick, introduced by Steven Powell and his DVM Articulations font, seems to has no effect on the current problem with shifting articulations on small staffs. I should point out, however, that I don't get as large a shift with my own fonts as in John's screen shot, regardless of articulation metrics. Don't know why, unfortunately.

I usually input articulations in ScrollView, so that might be the reason I haven't encountered the problem that often.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I posted over at MM forum as well, and OCTO replied there, supplying some more information about this bug and others that he had posted last year including some nice videos. I have no idea why I never encountered this before. But this is apparently not uncommon because, as Knut mentions, it depends on one's work flow.

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=465807

Other "interesting" and actually more dramatic shifts are created by selecting various options from the articulation designer Positioning>position with various reductions and also enlargements. Zuill pointed out that enlargements move the articulation to the left.