Dorico Pro 2 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
DatOrganistTho

Re: Dorico Pro 2 released

Post by DatOrganistTho »

With Dorico 2, I started a project that I've always to try, but now I feel comfortable doing it in a notation program. It took me roughly 45 minutes to input all of the information here. There have been no edits to layout, flow, collisions, spelling, etc. There are a few things that are wonky that I'll sort out once I have the rest of the movement put together, but so far its very readable. I've dreamed of doing this in LP, but I cannot muster the strength and courage to keep track of this amount of code.

I'm writing a book of preludes for piano using Dorico, as well as many other things.
Attachments
Rach Piano Concerto 3 Full score.pdf
(137.26 KiB) Downloaded 964 times
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Hm... 45 minutes. Interesting! I don't know how much it would take in Finale, but this is pretty awesome - as being not edited score.

EDIT:
Actually I have played the solo part of this concerto several times. It is a wonderful piece.
I managed up to measure 26 only, so far.

Humour aside, here is my favourite moment of the whole concerto; when I feel the life is hard etc, here sparks of just so positive energy in a "movie" style: https://youtu.be/CHbf1CSUFvI?t=41m57s
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

Dorico really needs the edge rounding that LP has for its lines. The slurs, in particular, look ridiculous at that thickness with flat edges.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

And the 2.1 update is released today. Many bug fixes and improvements to previous limitations, as well as nice new features in playback and layout.
https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/do ... -released/

Another update planned for later in the year, then it'll be Dorico 3 next year. If that is anywhere close to the jump in capabilities that v2 brought, then... wow, can't wait!

Meanwhile, Finale promises....
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, bewiggy. A lot of great improvements in Dorico. I was particularly glad to see the standard between-the-staff position for the number of a multi-measure rest for double staffed instruments as an option. However, as Schonbergian points out, the slurs in their examples still have the same tubby, unattractive look. They can look so much better with other settings; I don't understand why they don't they change them.

Unfortunately, I still can't use the program because I see no improvement shown in its capability to input and position complex piano fingering. This might take the more powerful graphic capability that has been promised but is not yet present. So I will bide my time and console myself with what Finale can do now and with what it promises...whatever that is.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury »

John, slur settings are absolutely a matter of taste. Dorico's overall look tends to be more substantial than that of Finale, and I guess you like slurs to end in a very fine point, which is of course easily possible in Dorico. If you want to change the look of slurs, it's the work of a few minutes to tweak things in Engraving Options, then click 'Save as Default' and they will thereafter look the way you want them to.

Given that Dorico has more sophisticated support than any other software for keyboard fingering, I'm a bit perplexed that you find it insufficient for your needs. Fingering can be input pretty efficiently via the Shift+F popover, and positioned anywhere you like in Engrave mode. As a Finale user you are presumably used to positioning every element more or less by hand. If you don't like the way fingerings are positioned in Dorico, you can move them in just the same way as you are accustomed to in Finale, i.e. by dragging them with the mouse, or by nudging them with Alt+arrows, in Engrave mode.

I'm sure you've outlined in the past why you find the feature insufficient, but I'll need to go back and remind myself based on your earlier posts what the sticking points are.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thank you very much for your response. Daniel.

I posted the following example of what I need at your site in January:
Dorico fingering.jpg
Dorico fingering.jpg (35.54 KiB) Viewed 34469 times
I was able to accomplish this in Dorico, but it involved a couple of workarounds and was generally too laborious to be practical. Also, I wasn't able to make the fingering bracket quite right. Perhaps fingering of this complexity will be easier in the latest version of Dorico, which I look forward to trying soon.

I did experiment with slur shapes in Dorico earlier this year and found that I could get close to what I need, which was encouraging. My point was that the Dorico default slur is not what I am accustomed to seeing in engraving from the best publishers and several other engravers have made similar comments on this site.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

Too much "lift" in the centre of the slurs - they're far too bowed by default.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

I think it's been often said here that Finale's default settings for slurs could also do with some adjustment. (And indeed, I've followed advice here for improving the values.)
dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury »

John, I'd love to know by what procedure you would produce that fingering in Finale. I wonder whether it would in practice be any less laborious than the steps needed in Dorico, or perhaps it just feels less laborious to you because you are so familiar with how you would achieve it in Finale?