SCORE?

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
DatOrganistTho

SCORE?

Post by DatOrganistTho »

I am very interested (and highly motivated) in learning SCORE. I have tried to purchase this software for the past 4 years, sending several dozen emails to the company and it's website, but I cannot seem to get through to them (maybe since the creator's death?).

What I'm interested in learning is:
  • 1. Does anyone have it and use it?
    2. Are there any comparable equivalents (other than LilyPond) that accomplish what it does in a similar manner?
I own Finale/Sibelius, and I also use LilyPond for most everything that I do. However, I've always been interested in what "the pros" have used (especially in urtext circles).

Thoughts?
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
OCTO

Re: SCORE?

Post by OCTO »

PIERRE BOULEZ wrote:“The SCORE music program has totally convinced me: it is beautiful, has a clear and intelligent optical lay-out, and quite frankly rivals the very best engraving work done in the past.”
I have downloaded maybe 10+ years ago a demo version (I believe it was so), and tried, but it was really hard. I understood nothing.
First, you need DOS, or DOS simulator, later there was a some kind of GUI.

I think that software is used now just by some hi-quality engravers at the publishing houses, but almost none else uses it.
The creator of the software Smith is dead now, and I don't think anyone has interest in running it (developing, support).

What could be wonderful is that someone take © of it, and develop it further. Maybe to implement algorithms into a new software to be available for "unisex"-platforms. You can try also Winscore.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

OCTO wrote:
PIERRE BOULEZ wrote:“The SCORE music program has totally convinced me: it is beautiful, has a clear and intelligent optical lay-out, and quite frankly rivals the very best engraving work done in the past.”
I have downloaded maybe 10+ years ago a demo version (I believe it was so), and tried, but it was really hard. I understood nothing.
First, you need DOS, or DOS simulator, later there was a some kind of GUI.

I think that software is used now just by some hi-quality engravers at the publishing houses, but almost none else uses it.
The creator of the software Smith is dead now, and I don't think anyone has interest in running it (developing, support).

What could be wonderful is that someone take © of it, and develop it further. Maybe to implement algorithms into a new software to be available for "unisex"-platforms. You can try also Winscore.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am aware of what you speak of, however. :)
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Have you tried Winscore?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

OCTO wrote:Have you tried Winscore?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
No. Part of it is the lack of access to the manuals. I would like to have those so I can do a proper job (I learned my lesson with LilyPond - Always start with the manuals!).
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst »

Orphee Editions uses Score. The owner, Matanya Ophee, might be able to suggest something. See https://www.editionsorphee.com/ to contact him.

John
John Rethorst
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

It would be more than helpful for many users to get him here to share his opinons. Best O.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I have been hearing about Score for a while, but in all honesty, I saw nothing that excited me about the example in the comparison thread despite the fact it has either been scanned at a very high resolution or not scanned at all. (It is still crystal-clear at 6400% where the numerous flaws in all the glyphs are quite apparent.) I did not care for the shape of several of the characters in the font: the G clef, the quarter rest, the fermata, and the mF. The ties look too much like slurs. The top of 8 in the 6/8 doesn't touch the line. The sharps are misshapen on the right side which can be seen even at 400%.

The LilyPond example done by the same engraver appeared superior to me in so many ways. (Edit: this is an error. The LilyPond and SCORE examples were engraved by different engravers.) What am I missing?
Last edited by John Ruggero on 11 Apr 2016, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

John, in the comparison thread you referred to, the SCORE sample is not the "normal" style of output of the program. We should get some input from Will Copper, who uses SCORE quite regularly. I can contact him, if that helps.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

John Ruggero wrote:The LilyPond example done by the same engraver appeared superior to me in so many ways.
What are you referring to here? The LilyPond engraver didn't do the SCORE sample...
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge