Software recognition, by eye

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
T Earl

Re: Software recognition, by eye

Post by T Earl »

OCTO wrote:From a PDF I could estimate better, the picture is hard to zoom at the high level. I guess it is Finale (of course, customized).
My apologies, I thought it would capture as a PDF. I'll try and PM you the score!
"Take an object. Do something to it. Do something else to it." - Jasper Johns
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Looks like Finale to me. There are a lot of things that indicate so (treble/bass cords, etc.), but the system brackets and grand staff brace is a dead giveaway.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
T Earl

Post by T Earl »

tisimst wrote:Looks like Finale to me. There are a lot of things that indicate so (treble/bass cords, etc.), but the system brackets and grand staff brace is a dead giveaway.
Cheers! I did zoom right into the clefs and braces of this score and also of a score that I knew was engraved in Finale, and they seemed pretty much identical! The publisher for this one is Schott, I've noticed that some of their older scores were typeset in Finale, but some of their newer ones or smaller chamber things were done in Sibelius. Do any publishers still use programs like SCORE?
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

I've always wondered the same thing. I know Henle does, but not sure about others. I've seen scores from Bärenreiter that have the SCORE appearance, but I believe they just use a similar music typeface. I could be wrong, though.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

T Earl wrote:
tisimst wrote:Looks like Finale to me. There are a lot of things that indicate so (treble/bass cords, etc.), but the system brackets and grand staff brace is a dead giveaway.
Cheers! I did zoom right into the clefs and braces of this score and also of a score that I knew was engraved in Finale, and they seemed pretty much identical! The publisher for this one is Schott, I've noticed that some of their older scores were typeset in Finale, but some of their newer ones or smaller chamber things were done in Sibelius. Do any publishers still use programs like SCORE?
Our friend Wess works for Schott - you might ask him for some insider info.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
T Earl

Post by T Earl »

OCTO wrote:
T Earl wrote:
Our friend Wess works for Schott - you might ask him for some insider info.
Thank you for the heads-up! I'll drop him a line :)
MJCube

Post by MJCube »

Wish I could’ve seen this earlier and shown off how I recognized that the music font is clearly Maestro, and the curly braces on the Harp are definitely Finale. You guys are great.
Christof Schardt

Post by Christof Schardt »

Schott used SCORE plenty years ago (they promoted it and gave it to their external engravers).
They moved to finale being concerned about the stalled development of score.
They moved to Sibelius driven crazy by incompatibilities between finale versions.
But the new Mahler edition is done in the old Score, because that's the one, they are trusting in, not the followers.
Software Developer, Musician and Engraving Aficionado
PriMus 1.1
T Earl

Post by T Earl »

Alright folks, another one for you sharp-eyed engravers.

Because this was engraved in c.1998 by Schott, am I right, due to the previous comments, to presume this is a Finale job again?

Cheers!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 14.20.20.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 14.20.20.png (203.84 KiB) Viewed 10709 times
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 14.19.57.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 14.19.57.png (188.09 KiB) Viewed 10709 times
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

This doesn't look like Finale. Anyone?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)