Software recognition, by eye

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Re: Software recognition, by eye

Post by OCTO »

This doesn't look like Finale. Anyone?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Graphire Music Press. Here's one of their samples for comparison: http://www.graphire.com/Media/Sym.pdf
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
T Earl

Post by T Earl »

Wow, interesting! Never heard of it? How does it perform compared to Sibelius, Finale, Dorico? Can't seem to find any sort of demonstration of it online, similarly to SCORE.
"Take an object. Do something to it. Do something else to it." - Jasper Johns
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

I haven't used Graphire before, so I can't give first-hand testimonial, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. It appears you can only get it (no demo) by contacting them via email or snail-mail. Here's a page with more details about purchase price: http://graphire.com/Pages/MP/bodympprch.htm

And here's a order page for SCORE, for the interested: http://www.scoremus.com/products.html

or here: http://www.winscore.info/ (click on the "Download" or "Purchase" link at the top of the page for more info).
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
T Earl

Post by T Earl »

Do you think any of these have advantages over the current versions of Lilypond, Sibelius, Finale, Dorico etc. Do any of these still not do things that SCORE and Graphire can do?

Another style of engraving I always think looks rather neat is ABRSM's exam books. Are you familiar with them and what program they might use to engrave?
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

T Earl wrote:Do you think any of these have advantages over the current versions of Lilypond, Sibelius, Finale, Dorico etc. Do any of these still not do things that SCORE and Graphire can do?
Do they have advantages? Definitely.

Do they have disadvantages? Definitely.

Are Graphire and/or SCORE better than LilyPond, Sibelius, Finale, Dorico, etc.? "Better" depends on what you use the programs for and how much hand-tweakability you regularly rely on to get a score looking "just right" for your needs.

Is there one app to rule them all? Hard to say. I'm not sure there is. My personal preference is based on how quickly I can get to the desired end result and how much extra effort I need to put into the score once the program has done its default layout. The truth is, with enough time/effort, ALL the applications can be made to create high-quality engravings. Some just require more effort than others.

Just my $.02 on the matter.
Another style of engraving I always think looks rather neat is ABRSM's exam books. Are you familiar with them and what program they might use to engrave?
I can't say I'm very familiar with those. A quick image search seems to show a few different styles--one possibly was done with SCORE, but the majority use a design and style I don't recognize. Most likely a custom house font/style, but that's only a guess. With such heavy customization, it makes it difficult (at least for me) to identify the app that was used.
T Earl

Post by T Earl »

That's interesting, thank you! I used to use Sibelius to typeset all of my scores but it wasn't until the last year or so I started to become really interested in all the engraving side of it! As a result, I regard myself pretty proficient in Sibelius, or at least proficient enough to either achieve what I want to achieve, or at the very least, find out how to do it. I've dipped my toe into the world of LilyPond and although I haven't fully engraved a score in it yet, it's another tool under my belt for when I may need it.

In re to the ABRSM music, I would send you a better example of the style I'm after deciphering, however their rules on unauthorised copying are pretty explicit. (However, this is the sort of thing I'm on about, although it's not very clear http://images.esellerpro.com/2378/I/415 ... nly-X2.jpg)
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Yep, that's the one I don't recognize right off. Just PM me so we can keep it under lock and key and I'll delete the file after I've looked at it.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I have plenty of ABRSM books at home (Theory).
For me it looks like manually engraved music. It is already 30-40 years old.
I might be wrong, but inconistency in slur shapes and thickness, and position of accidentals seems for me to be manual editing. Though I am not sure if there are new editions.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
T Earl

Post by T Earl »

Indeed, some of them do look manually engraved. I wondered though how the most recent ones are done, for example, the new instrumental exam books of 2017-2018. Surely in 2016, they are not still manually engraving their music?! :-O