Steinberg Dorico

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
DatOrganistTho

Re: Steinberg Dorico

Post by DatOrganistTho »

Okay, I stand corrected. I didn't look in detail at the things you just pointed out, and if the forum is saying those kinds of things, maybe there's more happening behind the scenes that is causing such a rift/ruckus.

So yes, your response makes a valid point. I hope they "fix" those things, or at least allow us to be pleasantly surprised.
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I think that it is a shame that this worthy product is being pushed into the marketplace prematurely. There does not seem to be overwhelming urgency among consumers, who have been waiting patiently for it; the impatience is all with the sponsoring company. But if Dorico is good enough, it will probably survive. But it will have to be VERY good. And I think that it will be. Aversion to its unfortunate name, which is obscure, hard on the ears, sounds corporate, and has little musical connection, may also pass.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Ralph L. Bowers jr.

Post by Ralph L. Bowers jr. »

Rolls off the tongue...like some name used in anime. Ugh, but is not Steinberg owned by Yamaha which is a Japanese company?
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote:I think that it is a shame that this worthy product is being pushed into the marketplace prematurely. There does not seem to be overwhelming urgency among consumers, who have been waiting patiently for it; the impatience is all with the sponsoring company. But if Dorico is good enough, it will probably survive. But it will have to be VERY good. And I think that it will be. Aversion to its unfortunate name, which is obscure, hard on the ears, sounds corporate, and has little musical connection, may also pass.
I think whether the product is released prematurely or not depends on one's perspective. To my knowledge, both Sibelius and Finale started out with much more limited functionality compared to what they have today. If Dorico works as advertised, with a minimum of bugs and limitations in the implemented features, I wouldn't say that the release is premature, even if it lacks certain features compared to it's competitors upon it's initial release.

I also think three years is a pretty long time for a niche company like Steinberg to keep a product in development without seeing any economic return, so I have no trouble understanding why they have set this deadline. There are a lot of indications that those three years have been well spent, and that the Dorico team has focused it's energy somewhat differently than other software, to the benefit of everyone with a genuine interest in raising the bar of music publishing quality.

Perhaps I am naive and put to much trust in the developers of Dorico, but at this stage I have a lot of confidence that Dorico will emerge as the new standard of scoring software within just a few years.
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst »

> To my knowledge, both Sibelius and Finale started out with much more limited functionality compared to what they have today.

Finale v. 1 actually had pretty good functionality, but it was insanely difficult to use.
John Rethorst
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Two softwares I am now paying attention to are Dorico and MuseScore3.
Knut

Post by Knut »

jrethorst wrote:> To my knowledge, both Sibelius and Finale started out with much more limited functionality compared to what they have today.

Finale v. 1 actually had pretty good functionality, but it was insanely difficult to use.
That's actually an interesting point. Finale has been trying to rectify it's unapproachable interface with a number of tool overhauls in recent years. These attempts, combined with the introduction of completely new functionality and the necessity to keep up with OS development (especially on the Mac side) has introduced a number of bugs to the point where the frustration in the user community seems to be steadily increasing. I've only been using Finale since 2003 (the last version supported by Mac OS9), and I have little programming knowledge, but it seems to me that some of Finale's core structure is outdated to the point where keeping up with modern software trends has become increasingly difficult or even impossible. Much the same can be said for Sibelius, I think, even though it may have a slight upper hand, being a younger application than Finale.

The Dorico team seems to have really concentrated their efforts on addressing some very fundamental limitations of current scoring software, trying to build a solid framework for future development. This has obviously taken precedence over building a more competitive product in terms of pure front end functionality, bells and whistles. Hopefully though, their efforts will pay off in functionality, speed, reliability, and an altogether pleasant user experience for many years to come.
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

John Ruggero wrote:I think that it is a shame that this worthy product is being pushed into the marketplace prematurely. There does not seem to be overwhelming urgency among consumers, who have been waiting patiently for it; the impatience is all with the sponsoring company. But if Dorico is good enough, it will probably survive. But it will have to be VERY good. And I think that it will be. Aversion to its unfortunate name, which is obscure, hard on the ears, sounds corporate, and has little musical connection, may also pass.

"which is obscure" -- Did you read the announcement? Or does the name of every scoring application have to be some musical term to you (or highly acclaimed composer)?
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
Knut

Post by Knut »

For those interested, here's a video of Daniel Spreadbury's demonstration of Dorico at the 2016 MOLA Conference:
https://youtu.be/jswPADssvhc?list=LLeKi ... e3Psew1-hA

Amazing stuff.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I was blown away by the actual demonstrations of D. (or the more euphonious and descriptive "aDorable", as I now prefer to call it), in spite of not being able to make out half of the endless prefaces and explanations. There is now no doubt in my mind that aDorable will become the pre-eminent product of its kind. I only hope that I will be able to use my current fonts and settings, or there may be no switch-over.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 28 May 2016, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com