Dorico

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
Knut

Re: Dorico

Post by Knut »

I hear you, OCTO.

It helps being a teacher, and my font projects gives me added motivation to jump in early. Otherwise I probably would have waited too.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Knut wrote:
tisimst wrote:I was a beta tester—focused on SMuFL and non-Bravura fonts.
That might partly explain why I didn't make the cut. :)
Not sure what you mean...
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Knut

Post by Knut »

Just that they got the font angle covered by a very competent guy.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Knut wrote:Just that they got the font angle covered by a very competent guy.
You're plenty capable, too, Knut. In any case, I'm glad to have been able to contribute some feedback on the matter.

You'll be glad to know that my tests so far show that Dorico seems to work nicely with SMuFL in general (not really a big surprise, but nice to know). I'm continuing to test, though.

With many glyphs not accessible yet through more than the basic text interface, a user on the Dorico forum made this very helpful suggestion for putting whatever glyphs you want on the page:

1. Go to the online SMuFL glyph browser: http://www.smufl.org/version/latest/
2. Navigate to the appropriate section (e.g., "Keyboard Techniques" for the "Ped." glyph)
3. Since all the glyphs in the glyph browser are REAL text, select/highlight the glyph you want and copy the glyph with the regular keyboard shortcut.

Now, in Dorico:

1. Select the note to attach the glyph to
2. SHIFT+X to begin adding a text object
3. Change font to "Bravura" or "Bravura Text"
4. Paste the glyph into the text object.

Pretty nice work-around until many of the more common features get properly implemented!
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Add in parenthesis: it would be great if you who use Dorico could share (in other topics) more experiences with it (examples or whatever).
This forum can be a good place to share your results with Dorico that could be compared with other notation software (in a friendly way...).
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

tisimst wrote:
Knut wrote:Just that they got the font angle covered by a very competent guy.
You're plenty capable, too, Knut. In any case, I'm glad to have been able to contribute some feedback on the matter.

You'll be glad to know that my tests so far show that Dorico seems to work nicely with SMuFL in general (not really a big surprise, but nice to know). I'm continuing to test, though.
Thanks, tisimst. I appreciate that.

Great to hear that SMuFL seems to be working as expected in Dorico. I haven't been able to locate where the Bravura metadata file (and in turn, metadata for other fonts) is supposed to be stored, though. Perhaps you could enlighten me?
OCTO wrote:Add in parenthesis: it would be great if you who use Dorico could share (in other topics) more experiences with it (examples or whatever).
This forum can be a good place to share your results with Dorico that could be compared with other notation software (in a friendly way...).
Sure! I'll definitely share some examples as I familiarize myself with the program further.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Knut wrote:Great to hear that SMuFL seems to be working as expected in Dorico. I haven't been able to locate where the Bravura metadata file (and in turn, metadata for other fonts) is supposed to be stored, though. Perhaps you could enlighten me?
On Windows, the location is C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico\fonts\metadata\ (I think--going off memory here...). Not sure about Mac, but should be in a similar location.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Has anyone tried installing the e-Licenser on a USB yet? It sounds like that is the only way to use the program on both a desktop and laptop, correct? How smoothly does that process work? Does anyone know what would happen if you lost the dongle? Is there a deactivation process if it's only installed on a desktop? I'm just trying to learn how the whole process works. I absolutely need to be able to access whatever notation program I'm using on both a desktop and a laptop so I'm curious how big of a hurdle this is. If I'm out of town and the dongle gets lost/damaged/fails, is this correctable or a complete disaster?
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

This may answer some of your questions:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/sof ... ation.html
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Thanks, so it looks like it works essentially the same way as the Pro Tools iLok system, right? Since I'll obviously need the USB eLicenser I guess this page answers most of those questions:
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... oting.html

This seems particularly relevant:

"I have accidentally lost my USB key! Does it get replaced by Steinberg?

Again, the USB-eLicenser is the most vital part of your product!
Please make sure to have all eLicensers registered in MySteinberg so that they are known. Without a MySteinberg account and a USB-eLicenser registration, no replacement is possible."