"Ten Music Notation Programs", including Dorico

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
David Ward

Re: "Ten Music Notation Programs", including Dorico

Post by David Ward »

benwiggy wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 18:08 I may be a flag-waver for Dorico, but that's because I've used so many other notation apps that didn't do what software is supposed to do: to help us; and to do the work for us.
The only notation ‘software’ that can really be made to do exactly what I want is manuscript; but of course that's time-consuming, a bind to duplicate (let alone to extract parts), and a major operation when one decides to revise & edit etc etc etc.

All these means for notating, including pencil/pen and paper, are tools. I find Finale does most of what I want, although I do occasionally end up modifying my notation (but I like to believe not the actual music) so as to make things easier to achieve in Finale. I suspect, but without any real evidence, that I would do the same if I were using Dorico.

I rather hope that I will be able to keep using Finale and won't have to lose a chunk of whatever active time is left to me (I am now 79) struggling to master new software. Indeed, I suspect that if Finale dies before me, I may return to manuscript fair copies (I've been writing in manuscript for over seventy years and still use it for actual composition) and will leave it to others to sort out any ‘engraving’ that might be considered necessary.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Discussions here about the limitation of computer engraving have made me wonder: to what extent have the capabilities and limitations of plate engraving informed notation itself? In other words, is notation the way it is because of what could be achieved by plate engraving (and moveable type, etc)? The evolution of dynamic markings as 'symbols' rather than text might be one.

Perhaps this is best on a new thread, but I'm not sure where that would go.
Den

Post by Den »

John Ruggero wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 19:22 You are doing fine, Den. I had long wondered about Igor and what finally happened with that project.

And please call me John.
Thanks a lot John for understanding. I am very pleased to work with Igor, any project of notation is completed without much hassle before the deadline and in top quality engraving (Look some scores from Edition Peters etc.). I also had some very weird modern notations, but Igor did it without a problem. Ehh ... I didn't go into some extreme notations, but I tested some very strange scores myself, tried to do them in short examples and again there were no significant problems to do the same.
I mean, there is no such note that with the help of exported EPS format in another graphics program you cannot finish, beautify with some design etc. but the notes remain the same as they were conceived from the start.
Of course, I also use some other unique programs, but they do not depend all that much on the software but what is in the human head and how it is a score of imagination. So it is the person who does the engraving, and the programs are only there for some of our ideas and wishes to be realized quickly. Most of all I appreciate the handwriting and manuscripts, because they are the originals, everything else is the copying and editing of the originals.
Last edited by Den on 10 Mar 2020, 12:31, edited 3 times in total.
Den

Post by Den »

David Ward wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 22:31
benwiggy wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 18:08 I may be a flag-waver for Dorico, but that's because I've used so many other notation apps that didn't do what software is supposed to do: to help us; and to do the work for us.
The only notation ‘software’ that can really be made to do exactly what I want is manuscript; but of course that's time-consuming, a bind to duplicate (let alone to extract parts), and a major operation when one decides to revise & edit etc etc etc.

All these means for notating, including pencil/pen and paper, are tools. I find Finale does most of what I want, although I do occasionally end up modifying my notation (but I like to believe not the actual music) so as to make things easier to achieve in Finale. I suspect, but without any real evidence, that I would do the same if I were using Dorico..
Very good thinking!
You can try demo of Dorico and test for short time..
But...Finale is your best score tools and > you.
odod

Post by odod »

i wish they bring Graphire MusicPress alive again ..
quite advance during it's time though ..
Knots.pdf
(31.72 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Den wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 10:26 I am very pleased to work with Igor, any project of notation is completed without much hassle before the deadline and in top quality engraving (Look some scores from Edition Peters etc.). I also had some very weird modern notations, but Igor did it without a problem. Ehh ... I didn't go into some extreme notations, but I tested some very strange scores myself, tried to do them in short examples and again there were no significant problems to do the same.
It would be more than helpful if you could show some of your works done with Igor (only). So far people here are only imagining Igor scores.
Maybe in another thread?
odod wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 03:16 i wish they bring Graphire MusicPress alive again ..
Knots.pdf
Hm... I don't know... I am not so impressed.
What year was this one done?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

"We've come a long way, baby!"
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Den

Post by Den »

OCTO wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 11:57
It would be more than helpful if you could show some of your works done with Igor (only). So far people here are only imagining Igor scores.
Maybe in another thread?
Of course OCTO, but tomorrow I must to go on short trip...
Maybe next week I try to find the time, you can send me your example (any page with your wish),
so I'll try to do it directly only with Igor, so you know it was done exactly with Igor with your examples, never mind in which software type you work that page...
odod

Post by odod »

OCTO wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 11:57
Den wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 10:26 I am very pleased to work with Igor, any project of notation is completed without much hassle before the deadline and in top quality engraving (Look some scores from Edition Peters etc.). I also had some very weird modern notations, but Igor did it without a problem. Ehh ... I didn't go into some extreme notations, but I tested some very strange scores myself, tried to do them in short examples and again there were no significant problems to do the same.
Maybe in another thread?
odod wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 03:16 i wish they bring Graphire MusicPress alive again ..
Knots.pdf
Hm... I don't know... I am not so impressed.
What year was this one done?
i think circa 97 - 2000 ..

how about this ..
Slip.pdf
(13.67 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

odod wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 01:14how about this ..
Hm, I don't know. Except the staff trick, I wish to see how the software does a complex notation, incl. spacing, curves and lines, positioning etc. etc.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)