Dorico Finale Side by Side

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
NicholasG
Posts: 28
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 13:31
Location: Hyde Park, NY

Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by NicholasG » 20 Dec 2016, 18:30

This is the default output of both Finale and Dorico.
Exceptions:
In both documents, the bars were joined.
In Finale, I had to use the resize tool and set it for 85% to match as closeley as possible to Dorico's default size.
In Dorico bar 7, it's not possible to replicate the tempo marking at this time.
Nothing else was adjusted. (I realize that both need adjustment, but I wanted to see how much more adjusting would be required for each.
Please excuse any engraving typos.
I'll post this on the Finale forum as well.
Attachments
Dorico-Finale.pdf
(915.3 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC

User avatar
John Ruggero
Posts: 1253
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 14:25
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by John Ruggero » 20 Dec 2016, 20:08

I much prefer your Finale result. The music lives and breathes because of the better spacing and font.

Dorico does get CLOSER to an acceptable result with the right hand slurs than Finale. (However, I completed the right hand in Finale and found that my slur settings produce a better result than your Finale default. For example, the slur goes properly over the notes in measure 6-7.)

But this is inconsequential, because "close" is not good enough. For this to actually save time, Dorico would need to produce a flawless result so no editing was necessary. In the case of this example, I would still need to edit ALL of the Dorico slurs, just as I would need to edit all of the right hand Finale slurs. And this assumes that I could set Dorico's slur defaults to look more graceful and not so thick and ugly. If not, it would be impossible to ever get a good result.

The Finale default settings for the beam angles are also less satisfactory in your example than Dorico. However, with my settings no editing was necessary to get a result that I prefer over the Dorico default in my first two measures. (I may complete the example later.) However, I assume that a similar change with the Dorico settings would also produce a better result.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 20 Dec 2016, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2,
Finale 2014d with GPO 4, JW Plug-ins, SmartScore X Pro, Adobe InDesign CS4,
Inkscape .48.5 and .91, FontForge 20150526
http://www.cantilenapress.com

NicholasG
Posts: 28
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 13:31
Location: Hyde Park, NY

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by NicholasG » 20 Dec 2016, 21:05

John Ruggero wrote:I much prefer your Finale result. The music lives and breathes because of the better spacing and font.

Dorico does get CLOSER to an acceptable result with the right hand slurs than Finale. (However, I completed the right hand in Finale and found that my slur settings produce a better result than your Finale default. For example, the slur goes properly over the notes in measure 6-7.)

But this is inconsequential, because "close" is not good enough. For this to actually save time, Dorico would need to produce a flawless result so no editing was necessary. In the case of this example, I would still need to edit ALL of the Dorico slurs, just as I would need to edit all of the right hand Finale slurs. And this assumes that I could set Dorico's slur defaults to look more graceful and not so thick and ugly. If not, it would be impossible to ever get a good result.

The Finale default settings for the beam angles are also less satisfactory in your example than Dorico. However, with my settings no editing was necessary to get a result that I prefer to the Dorico default in my first two measures. (I may complete the example later.) However, I assume that a similar change with the Dorico settings would also produce a better result.
I agree with your assessment. Notice measure 5 (as you mentioned previously), The 1/16th note accidentals are squashed, and Finale's are nice and airy. I'll keep trying to tweet Dorico, maybe try and get Maestro into Dorico.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC

User avatar
John Ruggero
Posts: 1253
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 14:25
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by John Ruggero » 20 Dec 2016, 22:19

I am glad we agree, NicholasG. Getting Maestro into Dorico would be a must for me were I to switch. If you manage it, please let us know how you did it. But maybe there are other forum members already working on this. ;)
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2,
Finale 2014d with GPO 4, JW Plug-ins, SmartScore X Pro, Adobe InDesign CS4,
Inkscape .48.5 and .91, FontForge 20150526
http://www.cantilenapress.com

User avatar
tisimst
Posts: 295
Joined: 08 Oct 2015, 17:57
Location: UT, USA
Contact:

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by tisimst » 20 Dec 2016, 22:27

John Ruggero wrote:I am glad we agree, NicholasG. Getting Maestro into Dorico would be a must for me were I to switch. If you manage it, please let us know how you did it. But maybe there are other forum members already working on this. ;)
Mark Adler at MM is already tasked with making Maestro SMuFL-compliant for an upcoming release of Finale. No word on when this will actually occur, but hopefully in the not too distant future. I know I would like Finale to be SMuFL-compliant. That would seriously make things easier for me.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
http://www.musictypefoundry.com

User avatar
odod
Posts: 133
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 15:10

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by odod » 20 Dec 2016, 22:55

Can i add the other software ? if you don't agree, i would erase this post .. since i don't have dorico .. just want to compare
Barber - Full Score.pdf
(43.41 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Last edited by odod on 20 Dec 2016, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
LogicX, Cubase 5, MacMini i7, Macbook Pro 2015, PowerMac G5, Sibelius 8, Finale, Musescore, Reaper, Apogee Duet, Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII, FontLab, tons of Faith and Prayers

Serenade Music Engraving Service

User avatar
tisimst
Posts: 295
Joined: 08 Oct 2015, 17:57
Location: UT, USA
Contact:

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by tisimst » 20 Dec 2016, 23:01

odod wrote:Can i add the other software ? if you don't agree, i would erase this post .. since i don't have dorico .. just want to compare
As long as it's "default output" (i.e., no hand-tweaking), I don't see any reason it can't be here.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
http://www.musictypefoundry.com

User avatar
odod
Posts: 133
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 15:10

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by odod » 20 Dec 2016, 23:08

previous post was Tweaked only the slur just a little bit and the note flag + rest symbols only,

and here's the default
Barber - Full Score.pdf
(41.16 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Last edited by odod on 20 Dec 2016, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
LogicX, Cubase 5, MacMini i7, Macbook Pro 2015, PowerMac G5, Sibelius 8, Finale, Musescore, Reaper, Apogee Duet, Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII, FontLab, tons of Faith and Prayers

Serenade Music Engraving Service

User avatar
John Ruggero
Posts: 1253
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 14:25
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by John Ruggero » 21 Dec 2016, 13:24

Odod, I do have the same reservations about the slurs and ties as with the Dorico. They are too thick (untapered) and prominent for my taste. Otherwsie, I prefer this version to the Dorico. The spacing is much better, as is the note head size, and the musical picture more inviting. I would prefer thicker beams, smaller expressions. What is the software and font?
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2,
Finale 2014d with GPO 4, JW Plug-ins, SmartScore X Pro, Adobe InDesign CS4,
Inkscape .48.5 and .91, FontForge 20150526
http://www.cantilenapress.com

mducharme
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Dec 2016, 01:22

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by mducharme » 22 Dec 2016, 01:24

He said "the other software", presumably meaning Sibelius. This looks to me like Sibelius default output, which is what I use all the time.

Post Reply