Dorico Finale Side by Side

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
NicholasG

Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by NicholasG »

This is the default output of both Finale and Dorico.
Exceptions:
In both documents, the bars were joined.
In Finale, I had to use the resize tool and set it for 85% to match as closeley as possible to Dorico's default size.
In Dorico bar 7, it's not possible to replicate the tempo marking at this time.
Nothing else was adjusted. (I realize that both need adjustment, but I wanted to see how much more adjusting would be required for each.
Please excuse any engraving typos.
I'll post this on the Finale forum as well.
Attachments
Dorico-Finale.pdf
(915.3 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC
John Ruggero

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by John Ruggero »

I much prefer your Finale result. The music lives and breathes because of the better spacing and font.

Dorico does get CLOSER to an acceptable result with the right hand slurs than Finale. (However, I completed the right hand in Finale and found that my slur settings produce a better result than your Finale default. For example, the slur goes properly over the notes in measure 6-7.)

But this is inconsequential, because "close" is not good enough. For this to actually save time, Dorico would need to produce a flawless result so no editing was necessary. In the case of this example, I would still need to edit ALL of the Dorico slurs, just as I would need to edit all of the right hand Finale slurs. And this assumes that I could set Dorico's slur defaults to look more graceful and not so thick and ugly. If not, it would be impossible to ever get a good result.

The Finale default settings for the beam angles are also less satisfactory in your example than Dorico. However, with my settings no editing was necessary to get a result that I prefer over the Dorico default in my first two measures. (I may complete the example later.) However, I assume that a similar change with the Dorico settings would also produce a better result.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 20 Dec 2016, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
NicholasG

Post by NicholasG »

John Ruggero wrote:I much prefer your Finale result. The music lives and breathes because of the better spacing and font.

Dorico does get CLOSER to an acceptable result with the right hand slurs than Finale. (However, I completed the right hand in Finale and found that my slur settings produce a better result than your Finale default. For example, the slur goes properly over the notes in measure 6-7.)

But this is inconsequential, because "close" is not good enough. For this to actually save time, Dorico would need to produce a flawless result so no editing was necessary. In the case of this example, I would still need to edit ALL of the Dorico slurs, just as I would need to edit all of the right hand Finale slurs. And this assumes that I could set Dorico's slur defaults to look more graceful and not so thick and ugly. If not, it would be impossible to ever get a good result.

The Finale default settings for the beam angles are also less satisfactory in your example than Dorico. However, with my settings no editing was necessary to get a result that I prefer to the Dorico default in my first two measures. (I may complete the example later.) However, I assume that a similar change with the Dorico settings would also produce a better result.
I agree with your assessment. Notice measure 5 (as you mentioned previously), The 1/16th note accidentals are squashed, and Finale's are nice and airy. I'll keep trying to tweet Dorico, maybe try and get Maestro into Dorico.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I am glad we agree, NicholasG. Getting Maestro into Dorico would be a must for me were I to switch. If you manage it, please let us know how you did it. But maybe there are other forum members already working on this. ;)
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

tisimst

Post by tisimst »

John Ruggero wrote:I am glad we agree, NicholasG. Getting Maestro into Dorico would be a must for me were I to switch. If you manage it, please let us know how you did it. But maybe there are other forum members already working on this. ;)
Mark Adler at MM is already tasked with making Maestro SMuFL-compliant for an upcoming release of Finale. No word on when this will actually occur, but hopefully in the not too distant future. I know I would like Finale to be SMuFL-compliant. That would seriously make things easier for me.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
odod

Post by odod »

Can i add the other software ? if you don't agree, i would erase this post .. since i don't have dorico .. just want to compare
Barber - Full Score.pdf
(43.41 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
Last edited by odod on 20 Dec 2016, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

odod wrote:Can i add the other software ? if you don't agree, i would erase this post .. since i don't have dorico .. just want to compare
As long as it's "default output" (i.e., no hand-tweaking), I don't see any reason it can't be here.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
odod

Post by odod »

previous post was Tweaked only the slur just a little bit and the note flag + rest symbols only,

and here's the default
Barber - Full Score.pdf
(41.16 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
Last edited by odod on 20 Dec 2016, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Odod, I do have the same reservations about the slurs and ties as with the Dorico. They are too thick (untapered) and prominent for my taste. Otherwsie, I prefer this version to the Dorico. The spacing is much better, as is the note head size, and the musical picture more inviting. I would prefer thicker beams, smaller expressions. What is the software and font?

mducharme

Post by mducharme »

He said "the other software", presumably meaning Sibelius. This looks to me like Sibelius default output, which is what I use all the time.