Dorico Finale Side by Side

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
mducharme

Re: Dorico Finale Side by Side

Post by mducharme »

Also, I asked for a feature enhancement - specifically, I find that the accidentals need to be slightly further away from the notehead when a note has a ledger line, otherwise they look closer to the note than they are (because the eye visually groups the note together with the ledger line). Daniel said they would add a setting in a future update to allow additional horizontal displacement for accidentals on notes that have ledger lines.

Dorico's default way of handling such a case is to make the ledger line much shorter on the left side of the notehead so that it can keep the accidental at the same distance, but that looks strange to my eyes.
odod

Post by odod »

mducharme wrote:Update: Was able to fix the spacing in m. 7 by increasing the "minimum distance between adjacent rhythmic items" to 2 1/2 spaces, under Engraving Options->Spacing Gaps (the bottommost setting). I don't know if this will have a bad effect somewhere else.
The staff line is too thin to my eyes ..
but i love how Dorico's handling everything is tight within its place such as notehead with the stem, the beam ..

The notehead aligned with the stem and the flag perfectly
Dorico1.JPG
Dorico1.JPG (31.08 KiB) Viewed 12902 times
the beaming end fits perfectly with the stems
Dorico2.JPG
Dorico2.JPG (52.16 KiB) Viewed 12902 times
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
NicholasG

Post by NicholasG »

In my posted Dorico version, Dorico placed the tenuto (over the 1/8 note) above the staff, you must have adjusted it.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC
odod

Post by odod »

NicholasG wrote:In my posted Dorico version, Dorico placed the tenuto (over the 1/8 note) above the staff, you must have adjusted it.
nope .. i didn't do anything, basically just opened the pdf and screen capture it ..
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

mducharme

Post by mducharme »

It moved in my updated version because I changed the tie default to create the tie from the inside of the noteheads instead of the middle, the tenuto then was able to fit inside the staff.
NicholasG

Post by NicholasG »

Got it. Good work
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
1 TB Flash Processor 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 4 TB external HD
Logic Pro X 10.2, Cubase 9
Final 25.2, Sibelius 8.5
UR 44, M1, Keystation 88
Adobe CC
mducharme

Post by mducharme »

Here, I made the staff lines just a bit thicker (you're right, I overdid it before making them too thin!)
Attachments
NocturneDorico Full score.pdf
(58.7 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
NocturneDorico.zip
(133.98 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
mducharme

Post by mducharme »

I reported the issue with the fifth sixteenth note (the near-collision that isn't detected, but looks to the eye like a collision) to Steinberg, and Daniel responded:

"We will also be changing the way that these kinds of almost-but-not-quite collisions are handled to make it possible for you to influence how much space in general should be allocated in this kind of situation on a more global basis, which, when coupled with the ability to edit the spacing directly, should resolve the issue to your satisfaction."
odod

Post by odod »

and also i notice, Bravura's rest line is too thick ..
Bravura.JPG
Bravura.JPG (59.33 KiB) Viewed 12878 times
maestro.JPG
maestro.JPG (63.7 KiB) Viewed 12878 times

mducharme

Post by mducharme »

They don't appear to have an option to make the rests thinner, I would assume you would need to change the font entirely to accomplish that.

Do you have a SMuFL font you would like to try, to see what the Dorico output looks like?