SCORE Music Publishing System VS. Graphire Music Press

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
George M19

SCORE Music Publishing System VS. Graphire Music Press

Post by George M19 »

These programs are before my time and so I have no experience with them, but I have seen a lot of professionally engraved music published with SCORE; I have to say, the note-spacing looks great. The Scorlatti clefs, noteheads, and flags look great as well; don't care for the accidentals or time signatures though (the Revere font's are better imo).

I have not seen as much music published with Graphire, although it has a comparable output. I understand, however, that the Revere font developed for the program won an award.

Both programs seem to do similar things and have similar uses--i.e., high quality engraving. What are the community's thoughts and experiences with these programs? Are they still available (has anyone recently purchased one of these programs)?
odod

Re: SCORE Music Publishing System VS. Graphire Music Press

Post by odod »

My friend Will Copper is an advance SCORE user, you can reach him thru facebook
he's quite active as a composer and devoted SCORE user
SCORE and AMADEUS are amazing ancient program .. i've seen the result, yes both are good

here's the attempt of SCORE look using Sibelius
SCORE Demo_0001.png
SCORE Demo_0001.png (624.01 KiB) Viewed 19589 times
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

To me, the SCORE treble clef stands head and shoulders above the rest of its font, which feels cold and clinical to me. But, short of hand-engraved clefs or a few computer examples (Abraham's fonts or November), that clef is probably the best I've seen.

The other issue with SCORE is that its output looks completely unoriginal and almost cliched since pretty much every major music publisher uses it to some degree. Gone are the days of distinct house styles, it seems.
Knut

Post by Knut »

I must say I agree with Shoenbergian about the anemic look of Score, although It doesn't seem any more so to me than the majority of standard fonts for computer notation software (e.g. Maestro, Opus, Petrucci, Helsinki, etc.)

And while I also do find the treble clef of Score to be an exception to this, I don't find it successful, mostly because it stands out too much on the page. It is simply too heavy compared to the other symbols. I'm also not that impressed with its shape, but that is mostly a matter of taste.
odod

Post by odod »

Knut wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 14:48 I must say I agree with Shoenbergian about the anemic look of Score, although It doesn't seem any more so to me than the majority of standard fonts for computer notation software (e.g. Maestro, Opus, Petrucci, Helsinki, etc.)

And while I also do find the treble clef of Score to be an exception to this, I don't find it successful, mostly because it stands out too much on the page. It is simply too heavy compared to the other symbols. I'm also not that impressed with its shape, but that is mostly a matter of taste.
on the pdf they look strange if you zoomed out, but it is depends on how you set the output .. major publishers still using SCORE though.
i remember someone name John Greschak able to manipulate Finale's output close to SCORE .. he uses Finale 2000
31 Pieces.pdf
(244.81 KiB) Downloaded 628 times
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

George M19

Post by George M19 »

I thought by creating a thread that I would automatically be subscribed to it so that I would receive email notifications ....

Does anyone have any experience with Graphire?
odod

Post by odod »

George M19 wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 03:09 I thought by creating a thread that I would automatically be subscribed to it so that I would receive email notifications ....

Does anyone have any experience with Graphire?
http://www.atpm.com/7.08/music-press.shtml

this one perhaps ..

George M19

Post by George M19 »

Hey odod, thanks for all of the input. Much appreciated.
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst »

As info, Graphire Music Press is now sold and supported by Mansfield Music. Contact:

Ernie Mansfield <ernie@mansfieldmusic.com>

Support is through a Yahoo group. If I remember correctly, the price for either Windows or Mac (OS 9 or earlier, or SheepShaver emulation) is $140 (this post originally said $40; my apologies).

SheepShaver emulation is actually very good. Free plug-and-play installers for Mac OS versions 10.4 through 10.13 (current) are at the WordPerfect Mac Yahoo group.

John R.
John Rethorst
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst »

jrethorst wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 18:15 Support is through a Yahoo group.
That group is https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Gra ... Press/info. It's a closed group, only to avoid spam. Click on a button to join.

John R.
John Rethorst