[ANN] Ten Music Notation Programs, second edition

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
jrethorst

Re: [ANN] Ten Music Notation Programs, second edition

Post by jrethorst » 29 Jul 2017, 17:01

John Ruggero wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 22:57
jrethorst wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 18:46
each program's defaults represent a set of decisions made by that program's designers as to the best that program can offer. Why would the designers do anything else?
If only this were true, at least, in the case of Finale. There have been numerous threads on this site that have discussed the shortcomings of the Finale defaults. Why would the designers allow this? I have no idea. But I do know that there are many settings that have to be modified to be able to produce professionally acceptable output in Finale.
Good point. Meaning no disparagement to the many people who love the program, Finale IMHO is due for a serious rewrite. The Finale sample in this document looks good to me, though, so I'm guessing that the professional engraver from VSL Music did not follow all the defaults. Maybe the program's designers feel that changing too much would distract the current user base, I don't know.
John Rethorst

jrethorst

Re: [ANN] Ten Music Notation Programs, second edition

Post by jrethorst » 30 Jul 2017, 16:41

Small further clarification. Most of the contributors would take issue with any suggestion that their engravings are any less than top shelf professional quality. Six are music publishers; two (including Daniel Spreadbury) are music software developers; one is a composer; one designs music fonts. Many accepted the invitation to contribute partly as a way to showcase their work.
John Rethorst