What notation program is this?

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
Schonbergian

What notation program is this?

Post by Schonbergian »

It seems at first glance that mainstream computer notation has actually gotten worse over time. Look at this beautiful 1991 score for proof:
This score is obviously computer-engraved, yet its quality is comparable to much of the hand-engraving from the period, and I'm almost never one to favour computer output. However, I'm completely at a loss as to which program this is. It isn't Amadeus or SCORE, and while the treble clef is vaguely similar to Graphire it's not the same. Anyone have any ideas?
tisimst

Re: What notation program is this?

Post by tisimst »

My immediate thought was Graphire, too, but I guess not. Any chance you’ve tried to find/contact either of the listed copyright holders?
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
odod

Post by odod »

i think it came from old music notation program .. perhaps Synclavier engraving system, or can you provide the note with flags or other symbols ?
Graphire's clef is not like that, it has sharper edge on the Treble clef, somewhere around this forum there was a guy who posted about old music notation software and he also had the attachment of the documents.
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

tisimst wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 02:20 My immediate thought was Graphire, too, but I guess not. Any chance you’ve tried to find/contact either of the listed copyright holders?
I figured they wouldn't know or care about what they'd likely see as a trivial detail, but I'll drop them a call.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Not being able to examine the score 'in vivo', and with a low resolution picture, I don't think it is done with computer. If you look at the microscopic level how the clefs are inconsistently positioned toward the left line, position of 8va on the clefs, and the time signatures different heights on the lines, I guess it is Notaset.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
RMK

Post by RMK »

That was my guess as well.
liuscorne

Post by liuscorne »

OCTO wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 18:54 Not being able to examine the score 'in vivo', and with a low resolution picture, I don't think it is done with computer. If you look at the microscopic level how the clefs are inconsistently positioned toward the left line, position of 8va on the clefs, and the time signatures different heights on the lines, I guess it is Notaset.
I looked long and hard, but couldn't see any differences (at least no differences that couldn't be explained by the quality of the scan). All elements (especially the lyrics) are positioned so precisely that I can't imagine there being any manual work involved.
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

liuscorne wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 21:35
OCTO wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 18:54 Not being able to examine the score 'in vivo', and with a low resolution picture, I don't think it is done with computer. If you look at the microscopic level how the clefs are inconsistently positioned toward the left line, position of 8va on the clefs, and the time signatures different heights on the lines, I guess it is Notaset.
I looked long and hard, but couldn't see any differences (at least no differences that couldn't be explained by the quality of the scan). All elements (especially the lyrics) are positioned so precisely that I can't imagine there being any manual work involved.
This was my conclusion as well.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Can you zoom the first measure? With a higher definition graphics?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

OCTO wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 18:26 Can you zoom the first measure? With a higher definition graphics?
That scan was from last year and I'm unsure if I still have a copy of this specific score lying around. I'll check in my university's music library tomorrow to see if I can find a specimen.