Engraving in MuseScore

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Re: Engraving in MuseScore

Post by benwiggy »

Thanks. Looks lovely!
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

OCTO wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 07:51[...] Do you think it should be "flat"? For my taste it should not. [...]
Ok, I understand.
OCTO wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 07:51[...] Was it difficult to do it in LP? [...]
No it wasn't. The code could seem pretty long but every setting can be found in the documentation, no headache...
Here it is if it shows some interest (I've added explanation; you can try it here, using the latest unstable version)

Code: Select all

%\version "2.19.82"

%% pitch:
\fixed c' {
  \omit Staff.Clef
  \time3/4

%% set beams:
  \set subdivideBeams = ##t
  \set baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1/8)

%% the music:
  a'32-.[ fis'-. d'-. a-.-0 g'-. e'-0-. cis'-. a-.]

%% set glissandi:
  \override Glissando.thickness = #2
  \override Glissando.minimum-length = #1.5
  \override Glissando.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \override Glissando.bound-details = #'((right (padding . 0))(left (padding . 1))) 

%% slightly change the slur shape
  \shape #'((0 . 0) (0 . 0) (1 . 1) (1 . 1)) Slur

%% the music:
  <d' fis'!>32\glissando [-- \sf \>(

%% add a spanner:
  -\tweak style #'line
  -\tweak bound-details.left.text 
    \markup\vcenter\override #'(circle-padding . .5)\circle\normal-text "P"
  -\tweak bound-details.left.padding 0 
  -\tweak bound-details.left.attach-dir -2
  -\tweak bound-details.right.attach-dir 30
  -\tweak bound-details.right.text
    \markup\draw-line #'(0 . -1)
  -\tweak extra-offset #'(0 . -.5)
  \startTextSpan 

%% hide accidentals:
  \omit Accidental
  %% hides ledger lines:
  \override NoteHead.no-ledgers = ##t
  %% resize notehead to 1 pix.
  \override NoteHead.stencil = #point-stencil
  %% set glissandi:
  \override Glissando.bound-details = #'((right (padding . 0))(left (padding . 0)))

%% the music:
  <cis' e'>\glissando <e' g'>\glissando <d' fis'>\glissando 
  <fis' a'>\glissando <e' g'>\glissando <g' b'>\glissando 
  <fis' a'>\glissando <a' cis''>\glissando <g' b'>\glissando 
  <b' d''>\glissando <a' cis''>

%% set last glissando:
  -\tweak bound-details 
    #'((right (padding . -2.5)(arrow . #t)(arrow-length . 1.5))(arrow-width . .4)
       (left (padding . 0)))

%% the music:
  \glissando <cis'' e''>16 ])\stopTextSpan

%% slightly offset dynamic to reach arrows colums:
  -\tweak X-offset #1 \p r16

%% reset previous:
  \undo\omit Accidental
  \revert NoteHead.stencil
  \revert NoteHead.no-ledgers
  \revert Glissando.bound-details
}
OCTO wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 07:51[...] P - I use for short version of "sul ponticello" and PE for "sul ponticello estremamente".
Thanks ;)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Schneider wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 10:12 No it wasn't. The code could seem pretty long but every setting can be found in the documentation, no headache...
Here it is if it shows some interest (I've added explanation; you can try it here, using the latest unstable version)
Thank you, I just wanted to ask you for this! What is exactly the setting and info for glissandos?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schneider

Post by Schneider »

Here is the code for the zig-zag only:

Code: Select all

%\version "2.19.82"

\fixed c' {
  \omit Staff.Clef
  \omit Staff.TimeSignature

%% set first glissando
  \override Glissando.thickness = #2
  \override Glissando.minimum-length = #1.5
  \override Glissando.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \override Glissando.bound-details = #'((right (padding . 0))(left (padding . 1)))

%% the music:
  <d' fis'!>32\glissando [

%% remove noteheads, accidentals and ledger lines:
  \omit Accidental
  \override NoteHead.no-ledgers = ##t
  \override NoteHead.stencil = #point-stencil

%% set the following glissandi:
  \override Glissando.bound-details.left.padding = 0

%% the music:
  <cis' e'>\glissando <e' g'>\glissando <d' fis'>\glissando 
  <fis' a'>\glissando <e' g'>\glissando <g' b'>\glissando 
  <fis' a'>\glissando <a' cis''>\glissando <g' b'>\glissando 
  <b' d''>\glissando <a' cis''>

%% set last glissando
  -\tweak bound-details.right.padding #-2
  -\tweak bound-details.right.arrow ##t

%% the music:
  \glissando <cis'' e''>16] 
}
There are 3 different settings:
1. First glissando (thickness, minimum length, right and left padding) between the first chord and the first stem.
2. The following glissandi (left padding set to 0)
3. Last glissando (right padding set negative to increase the glissando length and arrow head added)

HTH... ;)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

John Ruggero wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 04:16 OCTO, I was able to draw this using the line tool in Finale without "very large lines above the staff."
OCTO wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 07:51 "very large lines above the staff" are the way how MuseScore creates a line.
Sorry, OCTO I misread the original post and thought you were referring to Finale. MuseScore would be impossible for me, because I use so many lines for fingering etc. It is a pity that Finale doesn't have a tool that anchors a simple line to note heads or any objects. It would be an easy thing for them to add because the Bend Hat tool does precisely that, but creates a v-shaped line rather than a simple straight line.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Florian

Post by Florian »

OCTO wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 09:37
benwiggy wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 09:31I'm just wondering what the text fonts are? (scherzando and arco ord.)
The font is Nepomuk.
OCTO, I see that you have used a bold version of Nepomuk for tempo text. I have never got around to creating the accompanying bold face, so Musescore falls back to synthesizing one, which is of course not ideal. I would use another bold font for tempo objects instead. Maybe the one that you used for the first accel.? Is that Old Std?
If you are interested in using Nepomuk in earnest I might get a chance to take a look at Nepomuk again later this year and finish the bold face.

This is some nice engraving!
For what it’s worth, I share John’s feelings about that G clef. Is there no way to exchange it with another one in Musescore?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Florian wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 23:28OCTO, I see that you have used a bold version of Nepomuk for tempo text. I have never got around to creating the accompanying bold face, so Musescore falls back to synthesizing one, which is of course not ideal. I would use another bold font for tempo objects instead. Maybe the one that you used for the first accel.? Is that Old Std?
If you are interested in using Nepomuk in earnest I might get a chance to take a look at Nepomuk again later this year and finish the bold face.
Yes, I have used the bold version, I was unaware that it is not available as a variant. I use also Old Std, correct.
Florian wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 23:28This is some nice engraving! For what it’s worth, I share John’s feelings about that G clef. Is there no way to exchange it with another one in Musescore?
Thanks. Perhaps it is possible to change it, but I haven't got so deeply into that. I have tried once to swap only one clef, but I couldn't find a way out. So I have left it as it is.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I finally had a chance to look at the two pages, OCTO. It is really excellent and illustrates well what has been said on this forum: the engraver is far more important than the software.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Thank you, John! I really appreciate your comment.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I am back with engraving of my violin piece.
Still I am using version 2.3 since opening the document in MS3 makes the file unusable (because of to many manual edits).

In a way it is a "pleasant torture", but now when I look at the score, I wonder how I would do it in Finale or Sibelius. I have started engraving this piece in Sibelius and in Finale, and I can notice that Sibelius lacks full control and Finale lacks the final beauty.

As I said once, what I like in MS is that each item on page has its own coordinates, color and size and so it is easy to edit these by typing numbers. Therefore it is easy to copy these numbers to other items in order to make it look more uniformly.

Now I am in the second movement.

Here is for comparison the same music with non-printable objects and printable output.
Just as information. Some things are going to be edited. Comments welcome.
SS1561999817.jpg
SS1561999817.jpg (466.69 KiB) Viewed 18994 times
SS1561999858.jpg
SS1561999858.jpg (392.79 KiB) Viewed 18994 times