Engraving in MuseScore

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Re: Engraving in MuseScore

Post by OCTO » 09 Dec 2017, 09:31

John Ruggero wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 00:20
Another possibility would be to write out the first one exactly as you find yourself actually playing it. You might discover that you play it somewhat the same way each time even if it is irregular.Then "sim." over a gliss. line for the others.
The all three examples are written exactly as they would be performed.

Basically, the violinist plays 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2.... together with gliss..
"sim." is really a good idea, and that would be actually applied for fingering 1-2. I think the best is to have written it every time, the "sim." information next to "1 2".
David Ward wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 07:48
As a non-vioinist, but one contemplating the writing of a violin concerto, I don't think I'd even write quite as high as no 2 (the B a minor 3rd below that D might be my notional highest), so it's interesting to see a violinist writing way higher.
:)
Tavener has written in his Protecting Veil a3 for cello (4th line above in :t ), which would be just minor third down from the highest note in my example. I know it is easier to be so high on the cello than on violin, but a bit extravaganza is welcomed here.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25 • Sibelius 8 • MuseScore 2 • Logic Pro X • Ableton Live 9 • Digital Performer 9 /// OS X El Capitan, (side system: Debian 9, Windows 7)

John Ruggero

Re: Engraving in MuseScore

Post by John Ruggero » 09 Dec 2017, 16:42

OCTO wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 09:31
The all three examples are written exactly as they would be performed.
I meant with exact pitches the first time. But this may be completely contrary to your intention.

I was also stunned by those high notes!
Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2,
Finale 2014d with GPO 4, JW Plug-ins, SmartScore X Pro, Adobe InDesign CS4,
Inkscape .48.5 and .91, FontForge 20150526
http://www.cantilenapress.com