Dorico 1.2 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
jrethorst
Posts: 96
Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 18:48

Dorico 1.2 released

Post by jrethorst » 06 Dec 2017, 00:03

John Rethorst

User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 1084
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 06:52
Location: Sweden

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by OCTO » 06 Dec 2017, 09:08

The cuing that Dorico implemented is done really smart and effective. Looking at other things now available, I am temped!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25 • Sibelius 8 • MuseScore 2 • Logic Pro X • Ableton Live 9 • Digital Performer 9 /// OS X El Capitan, (side system: Debian 9, Windows 7)

Knut
Posts: 867
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 18:07
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by Knut » 06 Dec 2017, 12:40

I have to say that in spite of certain limitations, the new implementation in 1.2 is incredibly impressive. Even if I can't use Dorico yet for more challenging engraving projects, the functionality is now thorough enough to handle simpler tasks with a minimal amount of effort.

Dorico is still a young project, but it's coming along very swiftly and nicely, which is very exciting.

Florian
Posts: 36
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 15:34

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by Florian » 06 Dec 2017, 15:12

Knut wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 12:40
I have to say that in spite of certain limitations, the new implementation in 1.2 is incredibly impressive. Even if I can't use Dorico yet for more challenging engraving projects, the functionality is now thorough enough to handle simpler tasks with a minimal amount of effort.

Dorico is still a young project, but it's coming along very swiftly and nicely, which is very exciting.
Yes, that's exactly my impression. The enhancements are really, really impressive, and coming incredibly fast.
In addition to the big features there have been many small fixes and corrections. Also, performance on my system is now beautifully smooth, that was a bit of a problem before.

User avatar
Fred G. Unn
Posts: 185
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 13:24
Location: NYCish

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by Fred G. Unn » 06 Dec 2017, 19:09

Looks like it's coming along! I'm tempted to buy it. If I need to be able to use it on both a desktop and a laptop, I have to buy the boxed version with the dongle, right? There's still no registration scheme that allows the user to have it installed on two computers?

User avatar
tisimst
Posts: 308
Joined: 08 Oct 2015, 17:57
Location: UT, USA
Contact:

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by tisimst » 06 Dec 2017, 19:36

@Fred, that’s correct. Only the USB dongle will allow you to use Dorico on multiple machines.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
http://www.musictypefoundry.com

User avatar
Fred G. Unn
Posts: 185
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 13:24
Location: NYCish

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by Fred G. Unn » 06 Dec 2017, 21:21

tisimst wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 19:36
@Fred, that’s correct. Only the USB dongle will allow you to use Dorico on multiple machines.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Not a major inconvenience provided I don't lose the thing, but it would be nice if they would switch to a system that will allow two activations, like some of their competitors.

User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 1084
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 06:52
Location: Sweden

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by OCTO » 06 Dec 2017, 22:46

Fred G. Unn wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 21:21
tisimst wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 19:36
@Fred, that’s correct. Only the USB dongle will allow you to use Dorico on multiple machines.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Not a major inconvenience provided I don't lose the thing, but it would be nice if they would switch to a system that will allow two activations, like some of their competitors.
I find the dongle very painful to use. If you are attached to working spaces with stationary computers, it is OK, but on my laptop with limited USB ports, and risking of breaking it, it is really a big deal for me.
That is the reason I don't use my 'dongled' Pro Tools, but moved Logic Pro and Digital Performer...
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25 • Sibelius 8 • MuseScore 2 • Logic Pro X • Ableton Live 9 • Digital Performer 9 /// OS X El Capitan, (side system: Debian 9, Windows 7)

Schonbergian
Posts: 163
Joined: 03 Feb 2017, 02:25
Location: Toronto

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by Schonbergian » 08 Dec 2017, 20:24

Are the ugly slurs still unchangeable? IMO, this is the biggest barrier to me using Dorico or recommending it to others.

User avatar
tisimst
Posts: 308
Joined: 08 Oct 2015, 17:57
Location: UT, USA
Contact:

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by tisimst » 08 Dec 2017, 20:53

Of course they’re changeable. They always have been.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
http://www.musictypefoundry.com

Post Reply