Dorico 1.2 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
jrethorst

Dorico 1.2 released

Post by jrethorst »

John Rethorst
OCTO

Re: Dorico 1.2 released

Post by OCTO »

The cuing that Dorico implemented is done really smart and effective. Looking at other things now available, I am temped!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

I have to say that in spite of certain limitations, the new implementation in 1.2 is incredibly impressive. Even if I can't use Dorico yet for more challenging engraving projects, the functionality is now thorough enough to handle simpler tasks with a minimal amount of effort.

Dorico is still a young project, but it's coming along very swiftly and nicely, which is very exciting.
Florian

Post by Florian »

Knut wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 12:40 I have to say that in spite of certain limitations, the new implementation in 1.2 is incredibly impressive. Even if I can't use Dorico yet for more challenging engraving projects, the functionality is now thorough enough to handle simpler tasks with a minimal amount of effort.

Dorico is still a young project, but it's coming along very swiftly and nicely, which is very exciting.
Yes, that's exactly my impression. The enhancements are really, really impressive, and coming incredibly fast.
In addition to the big features there have been many small fixes and corrections. Also, performance on my system is now beautifully smooth, that was a bit of a problem before.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Looks like it's coming along! I'm tempted to buy it. If I need to be able to use it on both a desktop and a laptop, I have to buy the boxed version with the dongle, right? There's still no registration scheme that allows the user to have it installed on two computers?
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

@Fred, that’s correct. Only the USB dongle will allow you to use Dorico on multiple machines.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

tisimst wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 19:36 @Fred, that’s correct. Only the USB dongle will allow you to use Dorico on multiple machines.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Not a major inconvenience provided I don't lose the thing, but it would be nice if they would switch to a system that will allow two activations, like some of their competitors.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Fred G. Unn wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 21:21
tisimst wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 19:36 @Fred, that’s correct. Only the USB dongle will allow you to use Dorico on multiple machines.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Not a major inconvenience provided I don't lose the thing, but it would be nice if they would switch to a system that will allow two activations, like some of their competitors.
I find the dongle very painful to use. If you are attached to working spaces with stationary computers, it is OK, but on my laptop with limited USB ports, and risking of breaking it, it is really a big deal for me.
That is the reason I don't use my 'dongled' Pro Tools, but moved Logic Pro and Digital Performer...
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

Are the ugly slurs still unchangeable? IMO, this is the biggest barrier to me using Dorico or recommending it to others.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Of course they’re changeable. They always have been.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge