Dorico Pro 2 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Re: Dorico Pro 2 released

Post by OCTO »

David Ward wrote: 31 May 2018, 22:13 Oh, if only I were younger, I'd give Dorico a serious go! However, at 77 I'm probably safer sticking to what I think I know (Finale).
Wonderful, you made my day! :)
Remember, until yours 100 there is a plenty of time!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Knut

Post by Knut »

OCTO wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 08:50
Florian wrote: 31 May 2018, 19:38
OCTO wrote: 31 May 2018, 19:28 How about:
Completely independent time signatures (at least visually), completely independent bar-lines (at least visually)?
What exactly do you mean?
Perhaps something like this:
Vertical placement of large time signatures in Dorico is a bit rudimentary at the moment; you cannot (yet) place them wherever you wish, only according to preset rules in relation to the instrument groups.

The same can be said for polymeter, in that Dorico can't handle several different tempos or modulations across different meters at the same time. For anyone who's attempted engraving polymeter where the barlines don't line up in Finale, Dorico's support for simple polymeter is still very impressive, just because it can save a lot of time in comparison. But alas, I don't think the particular example you posted will be possible in Dorico until a more thorough support is included.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Dorico continues the mantra of "what it does, it does well", though it still lacks much that I need. But given the pace of progress, I'm very keen to spend time on it. All the manual adjustments that I don't have to do, compared to Finale, makes it effortless.
Knut

Post by Knut »

benwiggy wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 13:23 Dorico continues the mantra of "what it does, it does well", though it still lacks much that I need. But given the pace of progress, I'm very keen to spend time on it. All the manual adjustments that I don't have to do, compared to Finale, makes it effortless.
I agree. Even the slur shape, which was a big let-down for me, and which I ranted about on several occasions, was updated a while back. They are now just as nice as Finale's slurs, and even more flexible (albeit harder to tweak because of oversized anchor points, which may or may not have been improved in Dorico 2).
Florian

Post by Florian »

So do I!
I'm currently reengraving a classical score and parts (Brahms Haydn variations) for my own practical purposes and the way everything just falls into place astonishes me again and again. I get a beautiful score that looks warmer and more balanced than every computer engraved edition of the variations I've seen so far, and with practically no effort at all! After a decade with Finale this is just incredible. And that cues feature!
I only hope they finally introduce more control over bracketing and labelling of staves soon…

As for slurs, they still need more manual adjustments than with Finale. And there’s an irritating thing: if you've got a flat slur split over two systems you can't set the shape style for the shorter part back to curved. Have you ever tried making a flat slur that's about three spaces long look acceptable? Don't. You'll only get yourself a headache. (The anchor points are still oversized.)

Off topic: by the way, what about your music font, Knut? Is it already available?
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

For those that have tried it, is the copy protection scheme the same? Do you still need a dongle if you want to use it on a desktop and a laptop?
Florian

Post by Florian »

Fred G. Unn wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 21:38 For those that have tried it, is the copy protection scheme the same? Do you still need a dongle if you want to use it on a desktop and a laptop?
Yes. The copy protection scheme hasn't changed.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Florian wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 21:43 Yes. The copy protection scheme hasn't changed.
Ugh, I'm sure they've heard the complaint a zillion times, but I really wish they would go to a copy protection scheme like Finale, Sibelius, Adobe, etc. For those of us that travel a lot plus use a more powerful desktop for a home/studio setup it's kind of a drag.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

The Dorico staff are well aware of the loathing for the dongle, but their hands are tied by Steinberg's general policy, which covers all the apps in their stable. It's possible that a review will come when progress forces the DRM software/hardware to be revised.
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

Lots (and lots) of talk about scores, but I've yet to see any part samples coming from this product. Anyone using it care to share?
Composer and engraver