Dorico Pro 2 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
Schonbergian

Dorico Pro 2 released

Post by Schonbergian »

https://www.dorico.com/new-in-2/

Thoughts?

Still lacks a few of the features I'd want from LP, and seems to still have trouble with the kind of deep customizability that Finale and LP allow, but I don't have first-hand experience with it.
Knut

Re: Dorico Pro 2 released

Post by Knut »

I haven't upgraded yet, but judging by the Discover Dorico rundown, the new features look very nice.

The divisi feature seems particularly slick and useful, although unfortunately, it does not yet include the reverse option of condensing two players into a single score staff, while keeping separate parts. Until the inclusion of such a feature, you'll need to work around this by creating separate flows or projects for your parts. This is cumbersome, but not much different from the traditional way of extracting parts, which I regrettably still have to use in Finale, because of certain limitations with the dynamic parts feature.

With regard to customisation, one major new improvement, apart from any playback related ones, seems to be the playing technique editor, where you can create, categorise and customise the appearance and placement of playback technique symbols. Since these evidently can be based on either font glyphs, graphics or even composites of the two, the editor seems powerful enough to rival many use cases of Finale's shape designer, while hopefully being a lot easier to work with.

There are also smaller additions to the flexibility of elements such as dynamics, fingerings, text, etc., and although Dorico still seems to be quite far behind Finale in terms of strict flexibility, I'd say it's coming along nicely in that department, while being a major improvement in many others. And I'll add that since there apparently won't be any improvements to Finale's functionality for at least six months, Dorico still has that time to close the flexibility gap further.

BTW, you can read and watch more about the new features of Dorico 2 from the links presented here.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Thanks Knut for your review.

I am still waiting for Dorico, perhaps more engravers to find available and to be stable for more advanced engraving (contemporary music) in order to switch completely if Finale and Sibelius stay where they are (Finale: my problems on Mac and lack of automatisation; Sibelius lack of superpower editing).
I know I can download the demo, but still, I have to many projects on the table, there is a risk of spending to much time.

EDIT:
Now checked: DIVISI! Wow!
That is exact what I proposed to another software a long time ago:
Ability to temporary add any number of divisi, temporary system-staff and ossia.
This is particularly important for orchestral scores, which utilise numerous divis variants.
Divisi and temporary system-staff and ossia are very similar. Here I will describe it all at once, as Divisi.

WHAT?
1. Instead of using “add staff” (which would create one full staff across the score) there should be “add vertical measure”. This command adds one or more measures above or below selected measure(s).
2. “Add vertical measure” would therefore add measure just at the given point. It will not affect the rest of the score in any way. ONLY the vertical space needed to create “the vertical measure” would be added; and definitely ONLY in that system.

HOW?
1. User selects one measure and click at the command “Add vertical measure”.
3. Popup menu offers alternatives:
1. Add: above or below
2. Add: X number of measures (number 1 would add one measure above, therefore creating divisi a 2; number 2 would add two measures above, therefore creating divisi a 3)
3. Barline: through, invisible, etc…
4. Clef: choose clef, and, Make clef: invisible / visible / cautionary
5. Create Bracket or Brace: at the system start / always / never
6. User can select: partial measure, one measure, several measures to execute the command. Ability to create partial meausres and creating a partial measure above is very common with ossias.
7. Ctrl+click on the “ 'divisied' measure” would bring up the current settings and ability to add more measures if needed, or edit any other setting.
The command to remove these extra "vertical measures" should be by clicking on them and "remove vertical measures”.

This would give another very important aspect of the software with advanced options for orchestration
Seems that either Daniel has seen this post before, or it is just a coincidence. Wonderful.

I will watch the whole release video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNvdf-MifaY ) and comment more.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Florian

Post by Florian »

Knut wrote: 31 May 2018, 08:18 Until the inclusion of such a feature, you'll need to work around this by creating separate flows or projects for your parts.
Actually, all you need to do is create an additional player for the combined staff and exclude the single players from your print score layout. With the new Reduce feature it is very easy and straightforward to copy the music of the two single players to the 'combined' player. Should you need more than one staff at some point, make the combined player a section player and use a divisi.
Knut wrote: 31 May 2018, 08:18 With regard to customisation, one major new improvement, apart from any playback related ones, seems to be the playing technique editor, where you can create, categorise and customise the appearance and placement of playback technique symbols. Since these evidently can be based on either font glyphs, graphics or even composites of the two, the editor seems powerful enough to rival many use cases of Finale's shape designer, while hopefully being a lot easier to work with.
Indeed. The only thing it lacks in this regard is the ability to define the exact position in the score (apart from above or below the staff… but that doesn't really count…).

Quite a few gaps in terms of flexibility remain, but I find the additions are very impressive.
I don't want to advertise myself, but take a look at the latest Scoring Notes post if you are interested!
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Florian wrote: 31 May 2018, 18:57 I don't want to advertise myself, but take a look at the latest Scoring Notes post if you are interested!
Yes, please DO advertise! We all need more information about Dorico's (but also others') progress.
The examples look lovely.

The only concern about Dorico (a pure visual concern) is - the slur. It has some "odd shapes" that remind me of Sibelius.

LARGE TIME SIGNATURES: there is no example combined with slurs, ties and hairpins going through. How is that implemented?
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

How about:
Completely independent time signatures (at least visually), completely independent bar-lines (at least visually)?
Florian

Post by Florian »

OCTO wrote: 31 May 2018, 19:24 The only concern about Dorico (a pure visual concern) is - the slur. It has some "odd shapes" that remind me of Sibelius.
That depends on your settings. You can produce beautiful slurs with Dorico, even by default. I'm not a fan of the factory settings either…
OCTO wrote: 31 May 2018, 19:24 LARGE TIME SIGNATURES: there is no example combined with slurs, ties and hairpins going through. How is that implemented?
They just cross each other as of now. I seem to remember that Daniel said they would implement something for such cases… at some point I guess.
ts slurs hairpins.png
ts slurs hairpins.png (35.78 KiB) Viewed 52400 times
But note the erase background property for playing techniques etc. This one is lovely, and makes this way easier to handle than Finale.
Florian

Post by Florian »

OCTO wrote: 31 May 2018, 19:28 How about:
Completely independent time signatures (at least visually), completely independent bar-lines (at least visually)?
What exactly do you mean?
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

Oh, if only I were younger, I'd give Dorico a serious go! However, at 77 I'm probably safer sticking to what I think I know (Finale).
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Florian wrote: 31 May 2018, 19:38
OCTO wrote: 31 May 2018, 19:28 How about:
What exactly do you mean?
Perhaps something like this:
Attachments
BPSP1.jpg
BPSP1.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 52360 times