MuseScore 3.0 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
bicinium

Re: MuseScore 3.0 released

Post by bicinium »

And MuseScore 3.1 was officially released last week:

https://musescore.org/en/3.1

It has the vaunted single note (de)crescendo which I'm really happy about, and more of Tantacrul's remarks were addressed in the meantime. You can now adjust spacing by dragging notes left and right, but it's a bit finicky. Moving dynamics and hairpines simultaneously still doesn't work because they are two totally different classes of objects, but moving dynamics will also move any adjacent hairpins and vice versa.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Wow, that is really interesting! A few days ago I downloaded MS3 to a friend's computer, and his kid could use it after 30 minutes spent with my explanation. I have so far used only v2.2.

Automatic spacing of elements is absolutely fantastic.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

One interesting feature of MuseScore is that they are running a web-server "OMR" (Optical Music Recognition) service. You have to create an account, and upload your PDFs. You get an email back when it's done (or been unsuccessful).

I've only tried a couple of things, and the results are 'in line with most other OMR software I've tried'. Hopefully, it will improve.

https://musescore.com/import
OCTO wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 17:17 Automatic spacing of elements is absolutely fantastic.
Yes. And something so obviously ideal for computers to be doing for us. Magnetic Layout was introduced in Sibelius 10 years ago. And in Finale, we have it just for articulations.!
bicinium

Post by bicinium »

benwiggy wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 11:34 I've only tried a couple of things, and the results are 'in line with most other OMR software I've tried'. Hopefully, it will improve.
That's actually just a frontend for Audiveris, a third party (open source) OMR library. I don't hold on to any such hope myself, and one of the main MuseScore developers (Marc Sabatella) outright said that starting from scratch is faster.
benwiggy wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 11:34 Yes. And something so obviously ideal for computers to be doing for us. Magnetic Layout was introduced in Sibelius 10 years ago. And in Finale, we have it just for articulations.!
Having just put out my first ever concert band score with associated parts, I can hardly believe what I was putting up with earlier. I still handpicked all line endings in all of the parts and had to adjust text and rehearsal numbers, but it was already usable to begin with. It pleases me that this is a huge leg up from Finale, although Dorico continues to intimidate...

Also, there was a massive performance boost beginning with MuseScore 3.0.3. This score used to take at least a whole second just to change one note due to its size, now it's just as fast as any other score. Apparently it's due to a more efficient handling of slurs, but I find that hard to believe.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Now I am tempted to finish my score in MS2.2! ( http://notat.io/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=341 )
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)