pre-Reviewing Dorico

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Re: pre-Reviewing Dorico

Post by OCTO » 26 Apr 2019, 13:31

10. Any object attached to the note that respects spacing
scrsht 2019-04-26 at 15.29.50.png
scrsht 2019-04-26 at 15.29.50.png (28.4 KiB) Viewed 625 times
scrsht 2019-04-26 at 15.30.46.png
scrsht 2019-04-26 at 15.30.46.png (15.8 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25 • Sibelius 2018 • MuseScore 2 • Logic Pro X • Ableton Live 9 • Digital Performer 9 /// OS X El Capitan, (side system: Debian 9, Windows 10)

Florian

Post by Florian » 27 Apr 2019, 13:32

I'm afraid I don't have the time now to give a precise answer to each of your questions. Here's a rather general comment.

While a few of these things are certainly possible, and some (single trill notes, stacked grace notes, independent meters, big time signatures, powerful tuplets) are even implemented already, you'll likely feel like you're banging your head against the wall with much of what you need. Most importantly there's no tool yet to create arbitrary lines and boxes etc. so you'll need to use workarounds or even post-process your files in an external graphics program. You can achieve quite a few things with the music symbols editor.

Nevertheless I do recommend that you go ahead and try Dorico – you may be able to use it for some of your less complicated scores and get used to its concepts (and start enjoying them) along the way. I don't doubt that all of this will be possible in the future in comfortable, elegant ways.

I'm sure someone else will jump in and give specific answers. Why don't you post these questions on the Dorico user forum as well? You'll certainly get friendly, competent and enthusiastic answers there!

OCTO

Post by OCTO » 29 Apr 2019, 07:02

Thank you Florian!
While it could be indeed great to "play" with Dorico on this stage, I just need a tool to execute my needs in a most easy way. Another important thing here is that my scores are usually done partly or for the most part by other engravers, so that could be really messy if things are not implemented and many workarounds were done for the same thing.
I have one score done in Sibelius about 20 years ago, it is not possible to edit that score today without getting a total collapse of the music.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 25 • Sibelius 2018 • MuseScore 2 • Logic Pro X • Ableton Live 9 • Digital Performer 9 /// OS X El Capitan, (side system: Debian 9, Windows 10)