Staff Pad

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
Knut

Re: Staff Pad

Post by Knut »

Yeah, thanks! That sounds great.
arco

Post by arco »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcxy1ORAzKg
(Rite of Spring)
I found this if anyone is interested.

I have been thinking of getting a Surface with StaffPad. It is primarily designed for input (at least so far) and although you can print directly, mostly you would probably want to xml and finish in Finale or Sibelius (etc.)
If they decided to develop an app for iPad Pro, they would have to re-think the way the Apple Pencil would work (compared to the MS pen), learn the code, and with testing would probably be a year or more before anything is out.
wess-music

Post by wess-music »

I have a general question to all of you:
don't you think, that this app. works rather slow compared to all known software?
Every one can make an attempt to input the same text while measuring the time with chronometer.
One of the very week point is the rhythm recognition, which looks IMO very disappointing...
In every single bar we see a permanent need to manipulate notes/rhythm, grace notes etc.?
I have no any experience with Lolypond, but I am pretty sure that our friends can input the same music much faster and more clear.
Apparently, working with this staff It takes almost the same time (for input) as time uses for the task but using the mouse — a method known to be slow.
I guess that the main problem of this tablet with Windows on it is, that this operative system itself monopolise people's attention with its thoughtlessness and disperse the ideas dedicated for creativity.
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

wess-music wrote:I have a general question to all of you:
don't you think, that this app. works rather slow compared to all known software?
Every one can make an attempt to input the same text while measuring the time with chronometer.
I have no any experience with Lolypond, but I am pretty sure that our friends can input the same music much faster and more clear.
I haven't used StaffPad yet, but here's what I'm getting from the promotional videos and seeing others use it: It's not intended for fast input, but flexible input. If I were composing a song from scratch, I'd want flexibility over speed because I'm bound to adjust small things. I just don't think fast enough for needing a REALLY quick entry. I mean, you have to admit that it's impressive that it can take ANY person's hand-written notation (following their guidelines, of course) and mostly understand what was intended in a reasonably quick time-frame. I sure think so, anyway.

As for inputting music in LilyPond, yes, I would say it can be quite fast. For me, it's way faster than with MIDI step-time input (via Frescobaldi). I've discovered a couple of tricks, but it's still not as easy (or precise) as direct text entry. The other aspect that is nice is the verbosity of the text input. There are some nice conveniences to reduce the amount of typing, but for the most part you specify EXACTLY what you want to appear on the page. You know exactly what's attached to what, where things start and stop, and what manual settings you've applied.
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I would use StaffPad only as a sketchbook. Since I generally compose rather slowly, I am sure that it is fast enough for me!
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
arco

Post by arco »

wess-music wrote:...don't you think, that this app. works rather slow compared to all known software?
If I am inputting from handwritten notation (paper) then I use Sibelius (previously Graphire Music Press, a while back) and not sure I would use any digital stylus to input, especially since I would probably finish off in Sibelius anyway, and it would be faster and more accurate to do this.
If I am arranging, it would be with pencil and paper, although I am curious to try out StaffPad and have tried some of the iPad apps. Given the choice when arranging (or composing) it's usually pencil and paper, not Sibelius. I like the big expanse of paper, jotting notes at the margin, my pencils and do not need to use key commands to zoom in and out etc. (I also like writing letters with a fountain pen and ... posting them.)
It depends on my project how I work; and if I became comfortable with StaffPad or any other similar way of inputting like Sibelius with a Surface pen (which I also have not tried yet) then I have another choice. I also willing to give digital input some time to develop, the stylus thing is very new. What I like about StaffPad is probably more the potential of it—unencumbered with any previous way of inputting and built around the digital pen as the input device. And if it saves time not having to type it in, using XML I can just import it and start on the details of layout.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

arco wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcxy1ORAzKg
(Rite of Spring)
I found this if anyone is interested.
Yes, and no... It doesn't represents Rite in the full meaning. Measure at 161 I would like to be written, and all instruments...

For me StaffPad looks like OCR software which has implemented some presets like staff, groups, etc. Somehow impressive.
I would be more impressed by some artificial intelligence software that could recognize my handwritten scanned score...

I compose everything by hand on paper - it is the fastest possible way to compose, almost in real time. It will be hard for me to do in StaffPad, as far as I can see, it constantly needs adjusting, I can't accept that distraction. And also, I use some extended techniques not possible on StaffPad to notate (probably not...).
Knut

Post by Knut »

I agree with Octo.

I don't really see the appeal of staff pad in it's current state of being more of a sketching app than anything else. Sure, the technology is fascinating, but it doesn't seem all that useful (yet). Using pencil and paper is still faster and more flexible for most people able to write music in manuscript, which you need to be able too do regardless.