Notation program...

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Re: Notation program...

Post by OCTO »

RMK wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 12:40 At least one Bärenreiter edition was made with Musescore. It was a J.S.Bach piano work, but not remembering which one.
Yes, I know. It was already discussed here. It is an exception, rather than rule.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

It was keyboard arrangements of Bach's solo violin Sonatas and Partitas.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 20:53 The only feature I miss in all current software is called "do not touch what I did" and "do the rest perfectly in accordance to engraving rules".
This is exactly how Dorico is designed to work. Set the rules for your Engraving, Notation and Layout Options, (i.e. in accordance with the rules) and make manual overrides to those rules. It then keeps your overrides, whatever changes you make to the Options. ("Do not touch what I did.")

That's why there's the much maligned "switch and control" in the Properties panel. You flip the switch to override the default setting. Even if you change the default settings to match the override - it's still a manual override that happens to correspond with the defaults at the moment.

Many have opined that this is bad UI, an unnecessary step, and too complex. But it's also exactly the level of control that you (and many others) want and have asked for. It also means that you can make manual changes to one Layout, or all Layouts, e.g. Score and Parts.

Conversely, inexperienced users will make lots of manual overrides and then complain that Engraving Options aren't having any effect. :)
Attachments
Screenshot 5.png
Screenshot 5.png (37.5 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

The more I learn about Dorico, the more I wish it had been around when I started computer typesetting of music (in 2000 or 2001). However, as I've probably said here ad nauseam, it probably won't be worth my trying to make the change at my age (79).
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

David, I think that you might consider a Dorico trial, if only to see what it is all about. I don't think that it would be hard for you to learn to use.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

David Ward wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 13:37 The more I learn about Dorico, the more I wish it had been around when I started computer typesetting of music (in 2000 or 2001).
Likewise -- or even earlier. Though I doubt my G3 Power Mac would have been up to the job. When I think of the amount of time I spent creating (and adjusting) a Chord Suffix Library in Finale for Figured Bass.... :cry:

But: here's a question for Finale users. If MM released a brand new version with exactly the same capabilities, opened old documents fine, but with a radically different Interface, would you welcome that, or would you find that unappealing?
E.g. Fewer tools, totally different dialogs and processes, -- but able to achieve the same results (or better!), more easily?
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Not really sure where you are going with this, benwiggy, but, if MM came out with a new UI that improved input and output, I would be very interested to try it, especially since it will probably be a while before Dorico has the capabilities I need.

Ah..now I see the post from someone else over at the Finale Forum asking the same question. That explains it.

benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

John Ruggero wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 14:43 Ah..now I see the post from someone else over at the Finale Forum asking the same question. That explains it.
In fact that was me also! I was expecting the overwhelming "No changes!" that the question got there, so interested by your response.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

So you are the famous BuonTempi! Probably "everybody" knows that except moi.

I enjoy new software, which is what Finale with a new interface would be. If it is works well for what I need to do, that is. Of course, I don't have the time pressure that those who responded might have.

benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Infamous, probably. (I used the new name when everyone moved off MM's own forum, in order to 'start afresh with no baggage'.)