Pencils for music

Plates, sheets, pens, ink, pencils, paper; the tools and techniques of analogue notation.
OCTO

Re: Pencils for music

Post by OCTO »

Great, thank you, it works.

I have Derwent Drawing Board Acrylic Waterproof A3 - a great piece of plastic to compose on-the-go.
I have composed my string quartet on it, at the Stockholm's airport. Somehow the paper gets electric-magnetic, so that it sticks on to the board without taping it.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Re: Pencils for music

Post by David Ward »

OCTO wrote:I have Derwent Drawing Board Acrylic Waterproof A3 - a great piece of plastic to compose on-the-go.
I have composed my string quartet on it, at the Stockholm's airport. Somehow the paper gets electric-magnetic, so that it sticks on to the board without taping it.
I've finally just got round to ordering one of these.

It looks simpler and lighter to travel around with than my fancy A3 Rotring drawing board (which is 40 years old and has survived heavy regular use) and it will surely serve well enough now that I no longer need to make fair-copies in manuscript.

Update (26 August): I've now had this for a few hours. The ‘electric-magnetic’ effect OCTO mentions did indeed take effect once I'd rubbed a dry palm across the board a couple of times. It's larger in area than the much more expensive Rotring A3 drawing board (which also has additional gadgets, parallel ruling &c), so might be a bit big for travel by air (too big for cabin baggage, I think). On the other hand it is light, strong, simple, easy to carry etc, so ideal for most other forms of travel and perfect as a portable support for holding A3 music manuscript paper for pencil composition & sketching.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/