John Worley Co. question

Plates, sheets, pens, ink, pencils, paper; the tools and techniques of analogue notation.
sethm

John Worley Co. question

Post by sethm »

Hi all,

I've been going through some music that my great uncle had, and I came across a piece by Leo Rich Lewis that was hand copied by John Worley Co. in 1933. I was was wondering if anyone knew anything about him.

I've only recently gotten interested in engraving, and this is the first time I've ever really paid attention to the quality of a hand copied part. I've attached the final page.

Fun Fact: The score to this piece cost $1 in 1933.
Attachments
Image (16).jpg
Image (16).jpg (958.47 KiB) Viewed 10539 times
RMK

Re: John Worley Co. question

Post by RMK »

This appears to be the composers manuscript. Note the initials at the end.

Are you looking for information on Worley or Rich? The composer has a Wikipedia page. I got a few hits on Worley but they all appear to be historical references.
sethm

Re: John Worley Co. question

Post by sethm »

Interesting about the initials at the end. I called the Tufts music library, and they do have sheet music of this piece. I also contacted their archives about taking a look at their manuscript of the piece if they have one, so hopefully I'll be able to compare what I have to what they have. My great uncle was at Tufts when Lewis was a professor, but it seems strange that he would have had a manuscript.

Tufts has a lot of information on Lewis, so I'll be able to look into him more. Aside from the music as music, I found it interesting to look over a hand copied part from 1933. So I was curious to find out more about whoever did it, which I assumed was John Worley, but maybe not.