Musicwriter - in use throughout the world

Plates, sheets, pens, ink, pencils, paper; the tools and techniques of analogue notation.
OCTO

Musicwriter - in use throughout the world

Post by OCTO »

To whom it might concern:

MR1.jpg
MR1.jpg (408.21 KiB) Viewed 17470 times
MR2.jpg
MR2.jpg (351.52 KiB) Viewed 17470 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Re: Musicwriter - in use throughout the world

Post by John Ruggero »

When I was a student in NYC, I spent several weeks engraving on one of those for a small choral music publisher. They were happy to give me one-on-one instruction, since so few people knew how to use one. Coordinating music and text was harrowing. I eventually quit to have more time for piano practice.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Knut

Post by Knut »

John Ruggero wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 14:35 When I was a student in NYC, I spent several weeks engraving on one of those for a small choral music publisher. They were happy to give me one-on-one instruction, since so few people knew how to use one. Coordinating music and text was harrowing. I eventually quit to have more time for piano practice.

That's easy to see from some of the sample pages available.

I do like some aspects of the 'font' produced by Model 10, though. It could be a nice starting point for a semi-handwritten music font.
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

I've definitely seen the "publisher model" used by a bunch of smaller Canadian publishers in the 1980s, and one of the most popular hymnals is also typeset with one.
odod

Post by odod »

I think i saw that on my Joe Satriani’s guitar book circa 92 something ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
odod

Post by odod »

A pic taken from an old ABBA’s book .. old edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 14:35 When I was a student in NYC, I spent several weeks engraving on one of those for a small choral music publisher. They were happy to give me one-on-one instruction, since so few people knew how to use one. Coordinating music and text was harrowing. I eventually quit to have more time for piano practice.
:)
How do you enter slurs on that machine?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I think that the slurs were probably pressed on with Notaset for short and medium and drawn with instruments for the longer and more complex ones. But I never got to that far...
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com