"ad lib" harp glissandi

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
MichelRE

"ad lib" harp glissandi

Post by MichelRE »

I'm wondering how some of you handle an ad lib harp glissando.

generally, it appears that curved lines indicating the general idea of where this gliss. goes seems to be the most standard way of notating it.

I'm finding that no engraving program really lets you insert a curvy line that matches well with the lines used for a straight gliss. marking.

I've gotten the "go ahead" from a professional harpist to simply indicate with a single straight gliss, with "ad lib" added above, or to do a couple of shorter straight lines that indicate the general contour of what is required, adding the text "ad lib" in this case as well.

Any other insights?

I'd create a curvy line, but it turns out it simply doesn't fit properly every context of a long orchestral work with multiple incidences of ad lib glisses.

Besides, it appears impossible to get that sort of contour AND have it attach to both starting note and destination note.
John Ruggero

Re: "ad lib" harp glissandi

Post by John Ruggero »

I am not sure what shapes you are after, but I make the following technical diagrams in Finale by piecing together various curves that I create as note attached expressions. Unfortunately they don't stay locked together if the spacing changes so adjustments have to be made after the fact.
Diagrams.png
Diagrams.png (59.66 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
And one can make simple curves that are note-attached and thus do adjust to spacing changes by using the Dashed Curve Tool (Smart Line) with the spaces set to 0. And I guess would could make more complex shapes by using several and attaching the middle ones to notes that are made very small as to be almost invisible.
Free lines.png
Free lines.png (10.23 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
Last edited by John Ruggero on 16 Jul 2023, 13:47, edited 2 times in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
RMK

Post by RMK »

Have you tried using a multi-arced slur?
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

A multi-segment slur with the end thickness set to make the the slur equally thick throughout should give any shape you want. I am doing another Dorico trial and just checked it out.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

it's doable in Dorico, and making the straight playback gliss line invisible by making it really small works as well.
but it still looks messy to my eye.