Dorico v Finale advice?

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Re: Dorico v Finale advice?

Post by benwiggy »

Fred G. Unn wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 22:53 This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not particularly a fan of most of their videos. I think I'm just too impatient to sit through an hour long video to find the 30 seconds of relevant info, when I could have skimmed and read it in a tiny fraction of that time. At the very least, most of them on YouTube can be viewed at 1.5x speed or faster to save time.
There are two kinds of videos on Dorico's channel: there are short, introductory videos of usually around 5 minutes, which give you an overview of a particular feature or technique (by Anthony Hughes); and the more in-depth "Discover Dorico" sessions with John Barron. The latter can be a bit meandering, but are still often well worth it. There's an excellent one that covers the whole layout process, for example.

Anthony's videos are very succinct, and once you've watched a few, you begin to get a feel for "the Dorico way".
jrethorst

Re: Dorico v Finale advice?

Post by jrethorst »

Anthony is a fine teacher. I'd start with his series of 22 videos, each lasting 5 to 10 minutes, with specific aspects of note input.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hHnjYR3b6E
John Rethorst