tremolo notes and ties

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
MichelRE

tremolo notes and ties

Post by MichelRE »

I know this topic has come up before, and I'm still not sure how it ended up, or if there is any sort of resolution to it.

There are so many examples giving different results, that it's hard to decide which is more "logical".

So, what are people's opinions on ties and single-note tremolos?

imagine if you will a long sequence of whole notes, a single note covering multiple bars, played tremolo.

Normally, if it weren't for the tremolo I'd simply use a regular tie for this.
  • but with tremolo I've seen the argument that since they are themselves repeated notes, no tie between them is necessary.
  • I've heard performers play un-tied tremolo notes with a slight break or accentuation, which is not necessarily the desired sound result.
  • some seem to promote the use of a dashed or dotted tie for this type of situation.
  • others have suggested a simple regular tie is fine.
Where do the professionals stand on this particular issue?
I'm not really seeing any proscription or prohibition in Gould, other than her comment that with a dashed/dotted tie accidentals be repeated.
NeeraWM

Re: tremolo notes and ties

Post by NeeraWM »

I use dashed ties most of the times, especially in contemporary music.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

In an ideal world it would be very simple:

No ties = downbeat emphasis at the beginning of each measure.

Regular ties (or dashed ties for the ultra-logical, like Bartok) = no downbeat emphasis.

Since it is far from an ideal, logical world, composers have written non-tied tremolo notes but wanted no downbeat emphasis.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

I would start with dashed ties and then throw in a sim. if it's used a lot in the piece.

You can also put in an explanatory note in the score/affected parts.
Composer and engraver
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

I thought I ought to check what I did myself. Inconsistent! In a piece written in 2015/16 I use ties, but in one written in 2019 I don't. This probably sums it up: there is no absolute rule and both are correct.

Dashed ties are maybe a bit fussy, but perfectly acceptable if that's what you prefer.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
RMK

Post by RMK »

From the G. Schirmer Manual of Style and Usage (Second edition):

"We do not use dashed ties for tremolandi, trills or artificial harmonics".
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I would use normal ties since the undefined-speed tremolo conveys a single sound rather than a precise rhythm. Particularly it is true within the string groups, and particularly clear when dealing with new music.
However, in older publications, the conventional tremolo notation often omits ties, specially the timpani and percussion sections.

And I personally would avoid the dashed ties because it creates an excessive visual clutter with an overabundance of dashes. Too many dashes everywhere!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)